RECMGMT-L October 2004, Week 1

hurricane preparation and recovery

Gus Harris <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 7 Oct 2004 16:38:58 -0500

text/plain

Several folks have asked about how we weathered the hurricane...and prepared
for it...and what recovery efforts we had to make.  So I'm posting this
account to the list for those interested.

First for those who don't know, I'm with The University of West Florida,
Pensacola, FL.  I am the records manager.  And Records Management here is
located in a steel frame, steel roof/exterior warehouse type building.  We
have an "inner office" constructed within this building.  The building has
several doors and a loading dock.  It is a very old building...but as well a
very strong building.  We have a micrographics operation within our office
area (very large office area), and the remainder of the building is an
inactive records storage facility for hardcopy records.  We store
approximately 4000 cubic feet of records (you can see the inside of our
building on our website www.uwf.edu/records.

We are located on the perimeter of our campus...actually very near the
water.  But our entire campus is very near the water.  The northernmost end
of Pensacola/Escambia Bay is probably about a mile from where we are
located.  The Escambia River enters the bay very near our campus as well.
However, our campus (some 1600 acres) sits on land much higher than the
river, bay area.  Adjacent to our RM building is a street which actually
goes down to a marina/fishing landing at the river.  I'd say the marina is
probably 200 yards down past our building...so we're that close to the river
area.  But again, we're on land that is much higher than the immediate river
banks, etc.  As well, our building is several feet above the existing ground
level...about 4 feet higher.  We've never worried much about flooding...and
no area on our campus has ever flooded.  But to be honest, with the expected
height of the storm surge from IVAN...I wasn't sure what was going to
happen.  And of course it was even higher than predicted.  However, we did
not get any flooding anywhere on our campus as far as I know...except in our
fieldhouse which lost most of it's roof.

As far as our prepartion...
We have a list of hurricane preparation procedures...which we followed.  We
covered all equipment and all of the records stacks with plastic sheeting.
We removed everything at floor level and placed it higher in case of
flooding.  We unplugged everything.  We secured all doors.  We backed up
office computer data and stored the backups in a secure location.  We gased
up our university van and parked it in a secure area next to the
building...opposite from the direction where the predominant wind would be
coming from.  We printed our list of personnel contact info and took it with
us.  I took all keys to the building with me since I  planned on being on
campus during and immediately after the storm.

And, I was on campus during the storm...all night.  I could say I was here
to protect our records...but that would not necessarily be the truth!
Actually, a couple of buildings on our campus are used as storm shelters for
students, faculty and staff...so my family and I rode out the storm in one
of those buildings.  We live very near the campus and it is the best place
for us to seek shelter.  However, because I was on campus the morning
following the storm...I was immediately able to check on our building, etc.
And again to be honest I was trying to get out to check on our home
first...but because roads were blocked by trees and debris...I had to take a
route that brought me near our building...so I checked it first.  Of course
it took some time to get to our building since trees, debris, etc...was
everywhere.  But when I got there...I saw the building was fine except two
of our "roll up garage type" doors where blown out of their tracks and
swaying in the wind.  This worried me since I feared water might have blown
in.  It didn't thank goodness...and that was probably because while IVAN
brought a heck of a storm surge...it didn't drop as much rain as previous
hurricanes...at least here near landfall.  By the way, our campus is
approximately 30 miles from Gulf Shores, AL where IVAN made landfall...and
we are to the northeast...so we were in the immediate, northeast quadrant of
the storm.  And for those who saw the footage of the I-10 interstate bridge
that had sections washed out....that is just minutes from our campus...about
6 miles south.  But anyway, besides the blown out doors...and some leaves
and trash being blown inside the building...and of course no power or
water...well, everything else in the building was fine.

Words can't really describe how the scene looked that morning when I left
the shelter building and worked my way down to our building.  There were
trees down everywhere...twisted, broken, uprooted...across roads, on
buildings, etc., etc.  And the "view" was strange.  Our campus is very
wooded...and suddenly I could see areas adjacent to the road that I could
never see before...so many trees down, and the underbrush just blown away.
It was incredible.  And of course that is the way it was, and is now, all
over the Pensacola area..."new views" due to trees down and underbrush blown
away.  And you've just never seen so many power, phone, cable lines/poles
and power transformers down and strewn everywhere!

And, as a more personal note... folks I did not expect our home to be
standing.  If you had seen the winds and heard the noises this storm made,
and saw all the devastation I saw getting out of the campus that
morning...you would have not thought any home would have been left standing.
Once I checked on our building and left the campus I proceeded to drive
toward our home.  I couldn't get to it on our street because of downed trees
and debris.  So, I went one block up and came back down to our block.  And,
as I rounded the corner near our home I still couldn't see our house because
a huge oak tree on the corner was toppled into the street...roots and all.
And as I got around that oak tree...low and behold our house sat there
totally untouched...trees down all around...but none on the house and not
even a shingle missing from the roof.  I must admit it was such an emotional
moment for me that I simply sat there for a few minutes and cried....relief,
thankfulness, etc...that we still had a home to come back to!

As I mentioned in my initial post about this...our backyard was a disaster
area...trees down everywhere...and the damage I already described.  And of
course others were not so fortunate.  Some homes had trees on them...through
them...roofs gone...flooded...etc.  But in most neighborhoods the fallen
trees seemed to somehow miss landing on top of the houses.  That still seems
so odd to me...considering how many trees were down from this storm.  But,
any home or stucture along the bay or the beaches was severely damaged or
totally destroyed.

Just one last note...
When I got to our RM building that morning and once I checked it out...I
climbed up on the chain link fence adjacent to our building so I could get a
look down the road to the fishcamp and marina I mentioned earlier.  I could
see that the water was probably 20 feet higher than normal...and yet still
not even close to coming up toward our building.  But there were boats
strewn everywhere...big ones, small ones...some in trees...partially
submerged ones...etc., etc.

Well that's my story... and since we had no major damage to our building the
recovery process for RM has not been to difficult.  However, overall, the
university had damage to 95% of the buildings...and a few of those were
heavily damaged.  Our fieldhouse lost 70% of it's roof...so offices,
facilities there have had to be relocated until repairs are done.  Despite
that, I have not found any offices where there was water damage to
records...so we haven't had that issue to deal with either.

Despite it all...I think most of us have alot to be thankful for...

Gus
Records Manager
University of West FL
Pensacola, FL