PSYART December 2004, Week 2

[Fwd: Norm, For the LIST: An Important Announcement from the Harvard Libraries]

Norman Holland <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 14 Dec 2004 11:13:23 -0500

text/plain

-------- Original Message --------
From:   Krims, Marvin Bennet <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:        Norm, For the LIST: An Important Announcement from the
Harvard
Libraries
To:     Holland, Norman <[log in to unmask]>, Haigney, Kate

This is an important announcement of a joint project between Google
and Harvard --and other universities-- that will make their library
books available to the public over the Internet. I think this
another
step torward making information available to all, much as electronic
journals like PSYART makes essays freely accessable.

     *:*
     *Subject:* An Important Announcement from the Harvard Libraries

     December 13, 2004

     Dear Colleague,

     I am writing today with news of an exciting new project
within the
     Harvard libraries. As all of us know, Harvard's is the world's
     preeminent university library. Its holdings of over 15
million volumes
     are the result of nearly four centuries of thoughtful and
comprehensive
     collecting. While those holdings are of primary importance
to Harvard
     students and faculty, we have, for several years, been
considering ways
     to make the collections more useful and accessible to
scholars around
     the world. Now we are about to begin a project that can
further that
     global goal-and, at the same time, can greatly enhance access to
     Harvard's vast library resources for our students and faculty.

     We have agreed to a pilot project that will result in the
digitization
     of a substantial number of volumes from the Harvard
libraries. The
     pilot will give the University a great deal of important
data on a
     possible future large-scale digitization program for most of
the books
     in the Harvard collections. The pilot is a small but extremely
     significant first step that can ultimately provide both the
Harvard
     community and the larger public with a revolutionary new
information
     location tool to find materials available in libraries.

     The pilot project will be done in collaboration with Google. The
     project will link Harvard's library collections with
Google's resources
     and its cutting-edge technology. The pilot project, which
will be
     announced officially tomorrow, is the result of more than a
year of
     careful consultation at many levels of the University. We
could not
     have achieved a meaningful pilot project without the efforts
of the
     Harvard Corporation; the President, Provost, Chief
Information Officer,
     and Office of General Counsel; the University Library
Council; and
     senior managers within the College Library and the
University Library.

     A full description of the pilot program follows here, with
further
     materials available on the Harvard home page tomorrow.

     With best regards,

     Sidney Verba
     Carl H. Pforzheimer University Professor and Director of the
     University Library

     Project Description:
     Harvard's Pilot Project with Google

     Harvard University is embarking on a collaboration with
Google that
     could harness Google's search technology to provide to both the
     Harvard community and the larger public a revolutionary new
     information location tool to find materials available in
libraries.
     In the coming months, Google will collaborate with Harvard's
     libraries on a pilot project to digitize a substantial
number of the
     15 million volumes held in the University's extensive library
     system. Google will provide online access to the full text
of those
     works that are in the public domain. In related agreements,
Google
     will launch similar projects with Oxford, Stanford, the
University
     of Michigan, and the New York Public Library. As of 9 am on
December
     14, an FAQ detailing the Harvard pilot program with Google
will be
     available at http://hul.harvard.edu.

     The Harvard pilot will provide the information and experience on
     which the University can base a decision to launch a large-scale
     digitization program. Any such decision will reflect the
fact that
     Harvard's library holdings are among the University's core
assets,
     that the magnitude of those holdings is unique among university
     libraries anywhere in the world, and that the stewardship of
these
     holdings is of paramount importance. If the pilot is deemed
     successful, Harvard will explore a long-term program with Google
     through which the vast majority of the University's library
books
     would be digitized and included in Google's searchable database.
     Google will bear the direct costs of digitization in the
pilot project.

     By combining the skills and library collections of Harvard
     University with the innovative search skills and capacity of
Google,
     a long-term program has the potential to create an important
public
     good. According to Harvard President Lawrence H. Summers,
"Harvard
     has the greatest university library in the world. If this
experiment
     is successful, we have the potential to provide the world's
greatest
     system for dissemination as well."

     In addition, there would be special benefits to the Harvard
community.
     Plans call for the eventual development of a link allowing
Google users
     at Harvard to connect directly to the online HOLLIS (Harvard
Online
     Library Information System) catalog
(http://holliscatalog.harvard.edu)
     for information on the location and availability at Harvard
of works
     identified through a Google search. This would merge the search
     capacity of the Internet with the deep research collections
at Harvard
     into one seamless resource-a development especially
important for
     undergraduates who often see the library and the Internet as
     alternative and perhaps rival sources of information.

     Eventually, Harvard users would benefit from far better
access to the 5
     million books located at the Harvard Depository (HD). If the
University
     undertakes the long-term program, Harvard users would gain
online
     access to the full text of out-of-copyright books stored at
HD. For
     books still in copyright, Harvard users could gain the
ability to
     search for small snippets of text and, possibly, to view
tables of
     contents. In short, the Harvard student or faculty member
would gain
     some of the advantages of browsing that remote storage of
books at HD
     cannot currently provide.

     According to Sidney Verba, Carl H. Pforzheimer University
Professor and
     Director of the University Library, "The possibility of a
large-scale
     digitization of Harvard's library books does not in any way
diminish
     the University's commitment to the collection and
preservation of books
     as physical objects. The digital copy will not be a
substitute for the
     books themselves. We will continue actively to acquire
materials in all
     formats and we will continue to conserve them. In fact, as
part of the
     pilot we are developing criteria for identifying books that
are too
     fragile for digitizing and for selecting them out of the
project.

     "It is clear," Verba continued, "that the new century presents
     unparalleled challenges and opportunities to Harvard's
libraries. Our
     pilot program with Google can prove to be a vital and
revealing first
     step in a lengthy and rewarding process that will benefit
generations
     of scholars and others."