ISO Weekly Update

AVNER YEMIN <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 21 Mar 2005 20:14:23 -0800

text/plain

Shalom Le'Kulam,

The Nargilah Night was a blast and I want to thank everyone for coming out and enjoying it with us.

There is another JAM packed week of events coming up (events in chronological order):

1.Gators For Israel Meeting

When: Tuesday March 22, 7:00pm at Hillel

2. Nice Jewish Girls Gone Bad Brick City

What: A variety show of sorts hailing from New York.

When: Tuesday March 22 at 8:30pm at Brick City

3. JAM/ACCENT Speaker - Joshua Malina

When: Wednesday March 23rd 7:30pm (Door open at 7:00pm) Reitz Union Ballroom

Who: Starred in The West Wing and is the Executive Producer of Celebrity Poker Showdown and Sports Night.

4. Israeli Dancing

When: Wednesday March 23rd 8:00pm at Hillel

Where: Hillel Dinning Room

5. PURIM PARTY AND CARNIVAL 2005

When: Thursday March 24 7:30pm at Hillel

What: JSU and Jewish Awareness Month present: An Interactive
and Humorous Megillah Reading will begin at 7:30 p.m. and the
Party and Carnival will begin at 8:00 p.m. There will be a contest
for the best male and best female costume with $100 CASH PRIZE!
Pizza and lots of food to be served with live music! There will be
carnival games, carnival food, and inflatable games! The event is
free and open to all UF students.

6. Dr. Hasia Diner

When: Thursday, March 24 at 7:30pm in Reitz Union, Room 282.

What: The presentation is entitled: Out of the Kitchen and Into History: Food, Migration and American Jewish History.

By Who: The Center for Jewish Studies at the University of Florida and the Grass Chair in Jewish Studies

8. Hillel Date Auction

When: Wednesday March 30th 8:30-10:30pm at Hillel

What: To rasie money for teh Tsunami relief fund

9.Million Minutes of Mitzvah (GFI is cosponsoring)

What: Car Wash with all Proceeds going to the Jewish National Fund

When: Sunday April 3rd from 830-2 @ Bnai Israel

10. Dr. Gad Barzilai

When: Wednesday, April 6th at 7:30pm in Reitz Union, Room 282.

What: The presentation is entitled: "Does the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict Require an International Humanitarian Intervention"

By Who: The Center for Jewish Studies at the University of Florida and the University of Florida International Center, Department of Political Science and the Department of Religion.

IMPORTANT: There is a campaign to let students study in Israel please go to the petition online to help

Go to: http://www.ipetitions.com/campaigns/Study_Israel/ and Please pass it to everyone you know and ask them to sign.

Finally, Professor Balaban asked me to inform you all of the following:

1. UF students can major in Hebrew. We have a major in Near Easterm Languages and cultures, with two different tracks, Hebrew and Arabic. I'm attaching a very general description of this major, which is offered through the Interdisciplinary Program of CLAS. If you have any questions about this major please contact me (392 6539, or 377 4397) or Todd Hasak-Lowy (39263845).

2. We teach some literary courses in Hebrew. Thus, for example, next Fall I'll teach "Introduction to Modern Hebrew Literature"  (MWF, fifth period). In this course we read short stories of modern Israeli writers, discuss and interpret them. It might be interesting for Israeli students to take a course in Hebrew.

3. Next Fall we will teach also two literary courses in English. I'll teach a couse about the role of women in modern Hebrew fiction (T 5, R 4-5. I'm attaching a short description of the course), and Todd will teach a course entitled "Faukner in Israel, in which he will discuss the influence of Faulkner on modern Israeli authors (T 6-7, R 6).

Also, Two recurring events:

1. Cafe B'evrit

Come practice your conversational Hebrew with Hillel's own Israeli Fellow, Noam, every Tuesday at 7:30pm at Java Lounge. All levels are welcome, and the coffee is provided by Hillel.

2. Israeli Dancing Classes

Every Thursday 7-9 pm at B'nai Israel Congregation - 3830 NW 16th BLVD - no charge.

7-7:30 pm learning - mainly beginners.

7:30-8:45 - intermediate and beginners.

Lehitraot at these events,

Avner and the ISO crew

:-) Keep that smile on your face, Have a nice day.