Font:

Monospaced Font

LISTSERV Archives

WEDNESDAY-UPDATE Home

WEDNESDAY-UPDATE  2005

WEDNESDAY-UPDATE 2005

University of Florida Wednesday Update - Summer 2005 Volume 11

University of Florida <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 2 Aug 2005 16:52:48 -0400

text/plain

The University of Florida Undergraduate Wednesday Update
Summer 2005 Vol. 11 August 3, 2005

Table of Contents
ADMINISTRATIVE ANNOUNCEMENTS
1. REGISTRAR ANNOUNCEMENTS:
ENHANCING THE UNDERGRADUATE EXPERIENCE
2. SERVICE: New Service Organization:
3. INTERNSHIP: Richard M. Brodsky Foundation:
4. LEADERSHIP: SG Applications:
5. LEADERSHIP: Activists United:
6. OPPORTUNITY: College of Health and Human Performance Classes:
7. OPPORTUNITY: Fall Meal Plans:
8. OPPORTUNITY: IT Security Awareness Video Contest:
9. OPPORTUNITY: Hispanic Heritage Month Participants Needed:
10. OPPORTUNITY: Public Health Programs:
11. EVENT: UMOJA Graduation Ceremony:
12. EVENT: Gator Growl Tickets:

ADMINISTRATIVE ANNOUNCEMENTS

1. REGISTRAR ANNOUNCEMENTS:
FALL 2005 SCHEDULE ADJUSTMENT: Schedule adjustment for Fall 2005 will continue
through August 9, 11-21.

August 5: Summer B/C classes end.

August 06: Summer Commencement; http://www.registrar.ufl.edu/commencement.

August 8: Final grades for summer B/C available on ISIS in the evening.

August 10: Transcripts available with Summer B/C grades and degrees.

September 30: Deadline to change permanent home address in anticipation of
Summer B/C diploma mailing.

ENHANCING THE UNDERGRADUATE EXPERIENCE

2. SERVICE: New Service Organization:
Are you interested in community service? Are you dedicated to the minority
community? Then Give Black, a new student organization at UF is for you! We are
a community service organization dedicated to the needs of minorities in the
immediate Gainesville community, and to racial unity on our campus. We invite
everyone who is interested to take part. We are accepting member profiles, and
leadership positions are available. Please contact Krystal Knight at
[log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask] for questions.

3. INTERNSHIP: Richard M. Brodsky Foundation:
The Richard M. Brodsky Foundation is a nonprofit AIDS and Cancer awareness
organization bringing its 2005 World AIDS Marathon, Conference, "Art for AIDS"
exhibition with silent auction, and "Noor H'mara" - a concert benefiting those
living with HIV - to UF in December for World AIDS Week. Internships in various
areas are still available, and credit hours can be given. We also are pleased
to announce that we are the official UF/Gainesville link to DATA (Debt AIDS
Trade Africa) and their ONE Campaign. We are currently seeking DATA and avid
ONE volunteers. Send all inquiries to Sasha H. Muradali at (305) 498- 5000 or

4. LEADERSHIP: SG Applications:
Student Government applications for Cabinet Assistant Directors and Freshman
Leadership Council are now available on the 3rd floor of the Reitz Union. The
deadline for submission is September 7 at 5:00 pm.

5. LEADERSHIP: Activists United:
Have you ever noticed the oppression around you and wanted to make it more
visible to your community or even your friends? Have you ever wanted to know
more about oppression and help fight it? Then Activists United, a new
organization at UF is for you! With a fresh take on gauging our audience and
reaching out to all of our campus, we invite everyone who is interested to take
part. We are accepting applications for officer positions as well as looking
for general members to start off an exciting new year. Please contact Denise
Bird at [log in to unmask] for questions, comments, or to
apply.

6. OPPORTUNITY: College of Health and Human Performance Classes:
The College of Health and Human Performance is offering new distance education
courses in the fall: PET 4905 / PET 6905 Medical & Health Aspects of Students
with Disabilities and PET 4905 / PET 6905 Adapted Physical Activity. HHP also
will offer the following distance education courses this fall: LEI 4880
Evaluation of Leisure Services; HSC 3531/ HSC 5536 Medical Terminology; PEL
2930 Group Exercise Training Course. For more information, please contact Cher
Harris at 392.0578, ext. 1279.

7. OPPORTUNITY: Fall Meal Plans:
Not signed up for a fall dining membership? Don't delay! Sign up today at
www.gatordining.com. Credit card payment plans are available and if you're
receiving financial aid, you still have time to request a meal plan deferment.
For more information or to sign up by phone, please call our business office
Monday- Friday 8:00 am - 5:00 pm at (352) 392-2491.

8. OPPORTUNITY: IT Security Awareness Video Contest:
How can you win cash, gain experience and earn recognition all in one endeavor?
Win the IT Security Awareness Video contest! The UF IT Security Team is helping
Educause/I2 Computer and Network Security Task Force promote an IT Security
Awareness Video contest. Videos can cover a variety of IT security topics, be
three minutes or less and targeted toward other college students. Visit
http://infosec.ufl.edu/events/video_contest for more information. The deadline
is September 1.

9. OPPORTUNITY: Hispanic Heritage Month Participants Needed:
Are you athletic? Do you have what it takes to be the next Top Model? Do you
posses a hidden talent? Do you have what it takes to be crowned? If so,
Hispanic Heritage Month (HHM) is looking for you. HHM is hosting four events
that need participants. If you are interested in the Soccer Tournament, Fashion
Show, Talent Show, or Pageant Show contact the following: Soccer
Tournament-Paola Urrea at [log in to unmask]; Fashion Show-Anai Nava at
[log in to unmask]; Talent Show-Bernice Lopez at [log in to unmask]; Pageant
Show-Elisabeth Rodriguez at [log in to unmask] If your organization is
interested in reserving a spot at our Opening Ceremony, contact Leslie Veiga at
[log in to unmask] Any questions, contact David Ruiz, Hispanic
Heritage Month 2005 Programming Director at [log in to unmask]

10. OPPORTUNITY: Public Health Programs:
Have you considered the exciting field of Public Health? Qualified students can
begin their journey towards a Master of Public Health degree in their senior
year. The College of Public Health & Health Professions at UF offers a combined
degree program that allows you to apply 15 credit hours of public health
courses to both your undergraduate degree and your master's degree in public
health. Alternatively, you can complete your undergraduate program and then
enter the MPH program, a 48- credit option that takes two years to complete.
For more information, visit our website at www.mph.ufl.edu.

11. EVENT: UMOJA Graduation Ceremony:
You are invited to the Black Student Union UMOJA Graduation ceremony. It will
be held on August 4 at 6:00 pm at the Baughman Center. Following the ceremony
will be a reception at the Institute of Black Culture. All are welcome to
attend! If you are graduating this summer or would like more information,
please e-mail Michele at [log in to unmask]

12. EVENT: Gator Growl Tickets:
Impersonation and improvisation will meet on stage as Wayne Brady, star of
Whose Line Is It Anyways?, has been signed to appear at the 80th Annual
University of Florida Gator Growl "Revenge of the Swamp" on October 7 at Ben
Hill Griffin Stadium. Student tickets, priced at $5.00 each until 15,000 are
sold, are on sale now and only can be purchased through the University Box
Office in the Constans Theatre. General public admission tickets are $18.00 and
can be purchased at any Ticketmaster location and at Ticketmaster.com. For
more information, contact Chris Chase, Director of Public Relations at

**************************************
** To submit a request for a posting on Wed. Update go to:
http://www.honors.ufl.edu/wedupdate.html (please note deadline, word limit and
content specifications. Submission does not guarantee a post in the Update,
which is very space-limited). This e-mail is distributed by the Office of the
Associate Provost for Undergraduate Education.

You can find Wednesday Update Archives at
http://lists.ufl.edu/archives/wednesday-update.html.

For more information about student group activities or other entertainment on
campus, or to post your own group's information, see either: STUFF TO DO at
http://www.union.ufl.edu/stufftodo or the Student Activities Center's event
calendar at http://www.union.ufl.edu/sac/eventcalendar.asp.

For the latest news and information on GATOR ATHLETICS, go to
http://www.GatorZone.com.