Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SOCNET Home

SOCNET  January 2005

SOCNET January 2005

Association of Internet Researchers CFP

Caroline Haythornthwaite <[log in to unmask]>

Caroline Haythornthwaite <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 25 Jan 2005 16:58:41 -0600

TEXT/PLAIN

Please circulate to appropriate lists.  /Caroline

>Call for Papers - IR 6.0: INTERNET GENERATIONS
>
>International and Interdisciplinary Conference of the Association of=20
>Internet Researchers
>
>Chicago, Illinois, USA, October 5 - 9, 2005
>
>Workshops: October 5, 2005
>AoIR conference: October 6 - 9, 2005
>
>Deadline for submission of abstracts: February 15, 2005.
>
>CONFERENCE AND SUBMISSION SITE: http://conferences.aoir.org/index.php?cf=3D=
3

>INTERNET GENERATIONS
>
>The Internet has been a rapidly evolving phenomenon, so much so that we=20
>may talk about generations of the Internet. With everything moving faster=
=20
>in 'Internet time,' we have arguably spanned many technological Internet=20
>generations within a single human generation: from the birth of computing=
=20
>to the first online communications; from the beginnings of email to the=20
>enriched worlds of chat, virtual worlds and mobile text messaging; from=20
>the workplace to home and school; from optional to all-but-mandatory; and=
=20
>from mainframe to desktop to laptop to mobile devices.
>
>We can also talk about contextual Internet generations, from the early=20
>pioneers who count themselves among those communicating online before the=
=20
>1980s; to the early adopters of the 1980s in university and proprietary=20
>systems; to latecomers finding the need to adopt computing and technology=
=20
>use as part of their daily work; to the current and coming generations=20
>that will not know a time without a computer in the household, a mobile=20
>phone in their hand, and a lap- or palmtop and an MP3 player an essential=
=20
>part of their daily wear.
>
>This massive change in technologies, and in work and social practices=20
>suggests many avenues of interest for Internet research.
>
>CALL FOR PAPERS
>
>We call for papers from a wide perspective of disciplines, methodologies,=
=20
>and communities. We invite papers that address the theme of Internet=20
>Generations including TOPICS such as:
>

>- Histories of the Internet: human, social, technical, and/or cultural=20
>stories and histories
>- Internet use by generation, e.g., by era of technology, by children and=
=20
>seniors, or by age of user, etc.
>- Individual, group, organizational, or community use, adoption, or=20
>diffusion of the Internet and its practices
>- Development in use of languages, new vocabularies, social roles, rules,=
=20
>and etiquette
>- Societal impacts of and on the Internet and its evolution
>- Perspectives on the Internet and social change in a changing world
> [...]

Associate Professor
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 501 East Daniel St., Champaign,=
=20
IL, 61820
phone: 217-244-7453     fax: 217-244-3302 www.lis.uiuc.edu/~haythorn