Font:

Monospaced Font

LISTSERV Archives

FLORIDABIRDS-L Home

FLORIDABIRDS-L  January 2005, Week 2

FLORIDABIRDS-L January 2005, Week 2

BLUE BUNTING; SOCIAL FLYCATCHER; CRIMSON-COLLARED GROSBEAK; WHITE-THROATED ROBIN-JimS

Jim Swarr <[log in to unmask]>

Jim Swarr <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 12 Jan 2005 09:20:45 -0600

text/plain

After seeing the REDWING in Olympia, WA; then the probable female MCKAY'S
BUNTING at the end of the south jetty seawall at Iona Beach Regional Park by
the Vancouver,BC airport; then the FALCATED DUCK in Coburg, OR--just north
of Eugene-- I had a hard, four day trip, including driving over the
mountains of S. OR. and N.CA where chains were required--but did arrive
safely in Laredo, TX--after hearing of all the great birds present.

By 9am, Jan. 10, 2005--I drove up to two birders on Water Street--east of
the international bridge that is directly ahead of where I-35 terminates.
For specific direction, email me, as those on the net are patchy, or
incorrect.

Mr. Ian McGreggor, or Seattle, WA--who had seen the BLUE BUNTING volunteered
to take me to the site of the torn, blue wadding pool, that is hanging on a
small tree (not a sleeping bay)--showed me where he had seen it earlier in a
small, leafless tree, took me on a walk around the grassy area, and then
left to continue his trip down the valley.

Within ten minutes, I heard a very loud, metallic chip, which was frequently
repeated. I was hoping this was the bird; and soon I had brief views of what
is essentially a black bird in overcast light, but with brilliant light blue
(Sibley calls it bright blue), on the forehead, and lower chin--upper
breast. One of my views enable my seeing the gray blunt beak, with slightly
curved upper culmen. The bird did not like being viewed, and each of about
five time, flew a short distance from each spot, low in the vegetation--that
I viewed him.

Upon leaving the area, I looked at the small tree where Ian had seen the
BLBU--and there was a small, petite, WHITE-COLARED SEEDEATER, a male with
the white colar. This was the first male that I had seen. It was just
perched there, looking around, and remained for about a minute.

I then drove to BENSON RIO GRANDE VALLEY STATE PARK, where I arrived about
2:30 pm, and parked near the entrance (it is no longer open to personal
motor vehicle traffic)--put on my hiking boots, and walked the approximate
mile to the picnic area by the boat ramp. There were about twenty birders
present, most of them standing by the area on the left side of the road as
you walk in, where the paved path from the former trailer loop comes out of
the woods to the picnic area.

At 3:30pm, the SOCIAL FLYCATCHER, which looks similiar to the GREAT
KISKADEE, but is smaller--bill, tail, and overall--and with more muted
coloration of the head contrast colors--flew into the upper branches of the
two tallest bare trees, just twenty yards beyond the paved path. That is
where it had been seen that morning. I heard a report the following day,
that it had been seen by the boat ramp, in the morning.

On Tues, Jan. 11, 2005 I was the first car in line at the FRONTERA AUDUBON
gate, in Weslaco, TX. After paying the very modest $2.50/ person fee, I
entered, parked, got my gear, and walked to the north area by the fence,
where the WHITE-THROATED ROBIN has been seen. I had a long wait!

During the course of the day, by 2pm, there had been close to 50 birders
coming, and many going. The male and female CRIMSON-COLARED GROSBEAKS, had
been seen by the potatoe tree, beyond the feeding area, but few birders saw
them. Earlier in the afternoon, the very bright male CCGB was seen on the
left side of the feeding area, and a birder had taken an excellent photo.
which he shared.

Shortly before two pm, I was walking back to the van, for a snack break;
when I was going by the small watering pool on my right, I saw a LONG-BILLED
THRASHER taking a bath. I though I would try and take a picture, and sat
down in the bench, which afforded the best view. It flew, but a few
seconds later, a brilliant CRIMSON COLARED GROSBEAK-the red just shouts,
with a pale blue beak, went to the water for a drink. I did take some
photos, but in my excitement, did not use the magnification.

Upon returning to the north part of the park, I sat down in a small bench,
about 30 yards from the fence, and was viewing deep into the thick
vegetation. I saw the poster half of a dark bird that was scratching away
on the ground. I thought this is either a LONG-BILLED THRASHER, or, OUR
BIRD. Fortunately, when it turned, and I saw the bright white patch under
the chin, along with the off white eye ring, and the buff colored underside
with the robin beak--this was the first sighting of the WHITE-THROATED
ROBIN, of the day. It had been seen in this area, briefly, the previous
day. Two other birders by me saw it, then it flew behing vegetation, to the
left; fortunately another birder picked it up, and everyone present saw it,
must with difficulty. It is a skulking bird, similiar to the BLUE
MOCKINGBIRD.

So at 2:32pm, Jan. 11, 2005--I, and about 15 other birders at Frontera
Audubon, saw the WHITE-THROATED ROBIN in Weslaco, TX.

I departed, drove the Lake Charles, LA for the night, and with God's help,
will be home in St. Petersburg,FL very late this evening, or early tomorrow
morning, after about a month on the road.

Jim Swarr, St. Petersburg, FL [log in to unmask]