]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

PSYART Home

PSYART  January 2005, Week 3

PSYART January 2005, Week 3

Re: Fw: [Fwd: Spider-Man and a general question]

Murray Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 20 Jan 2005 11:30:24 -0500

text/plain

Hi Mary,

The two original papers on the manic defense are Melanie Klien's and D.W. Winnicott's, both written in the 1930's.  (I can give you the exact references when I am at home, if you wish.)  Winnicott says that the manic defense "belongs to the depressive position," by which he means that it is a defense against loss and the mourning process (like turning 9/11 into a mobilization of fantasies of omnipotence).  In a piece forthcoming in Psychoanalytic Dialogues, I speculate further about the links begween contemporary manic defences and the theoretical concepts developed in the 1930's.  The forthcoming issue of Psychoanalytic Dialogues is devoted to "The Manic Society."

  --Best, Murray