Skip repetitive navigational links

Re: Books on Higher Level Reading

Nic Voge <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 15 Feb 2005 09:21:51 -0800

text/plain

Richard,
I have an abiding interest in the issue of "advanced" or "enhanced"
reading. At UC Berkeley, in many fields students are asked to read
scholarly texts and textbooks are eschewed entirely. It is not
uncommon in an introductory course here to be assigned in a single
intro course 5-7 books and 30-40 scholarly articles. Thus, in my work
with students the issue of advanced reading is ever-present. I am not
aware of the kinds of books you are looking for. Instead, over the
years, I have cobbled together materials of various kinds and
developed some of my own to assist my students in reading, analyzing
and synthesizing multiple texts, reading against the grain of the
author, reading with the aim of applying theoretical frameworks, etc.

I have designed and taught a course in our Summer Bridge course
called Reading and Studying Across the Curriculum in which my goal is
to begin to initiate incoming frosh students into the variety of
reading tasks,  demands and expectations, and text types they are
likely to experience in a reseach university like CAL. It's tough to
get it all in. Though the students have for the most part found the
course beneficial, I feel it has had only  mixed results.

Below you will find a list of some of the books and articles I have
found most useful. Many of them do not fall into the two categories
you have mentioned. Some are empirical papers, others think pieces,
others synthesize much literature into "models".

Given your interests, I think a review of the  work of
cognitive-rhetoriticians of the 90's is well worth reading. These
studies often looked at "expert" readers in order to understand how
their strategies (among other aspects of the reading process)
differed from non-experts. Charles Bazerman, Linda Flower and
Christina Haas all did interesting work (SOME of it is enumerated
below). One key finding made in numerous studies is that more expert
readers tend to use different kinds of strategies and strategies in
different proportions and rates. For instance, more expert readers
use more "rhetorical reading strategies"; they seek to construct a
rhetorical context of the text and use it to make interpretations,
predictions, etc. Davida Charney and C. Geisler (or Giesler) also
have done interesting work in this area.

I would also recommend several other authors (all of which are listed
below). Rick Kern, who is here at Berkeley, has written an excellent
book aimed at teaching ESL/EFL/Foreign Language reading at the
college level. It has an excellent synthesis of theory, but also
derives implications for practice. Ann Johns, who is genre theorist,
wrote an excellent book is similar to Kern's in terms of being
organized around a thoeretical model and then deriving implicaitons
for practice. She works at San Diego State University (or used to
anyway) with students developing their academic literacy. Kathleen
McCormick comes from more of a literary or English Studies background
and her book is worth reading and reviewing.

Mike Rose has written an anthology (Bazerman too) intended  for the
freshman composition classroom that might be of interest to you. Rose
et. al.'s book is called, I believe, "Critical Strategies".
Bazerman's book is called, I think, "The Informed Reader". In many
cases folks who study writing have done more work on the nature and
variety of literacy across the curriculum. One piece, in particular,
that I would recommend to give you a sense of the nature of demands
is McCarthy's piece called "Stranger in Strange Lands". Lastly, you
may want to review the Journal of Language and Learning Across the
Disciplines, which has much of its contents on -line.

I'd be interested in hearing where you go with this, so please keep
me posted if you could.
Best,
Nic

Models of reading
        Bazerman, C.(1980). A  relationship between reading and
writing: The conversational model. College English; 41 (6) 656-61.
        Tierney, R. J. & Pearson, P. D., (1983). Towards a composing
model of reading. Language Arts; 60 (5) 568-80.

Socio-cognitive approaches to reading and literacy
        Gee, J. P. (2001). Reading as situated language: A
sociocognitive perspective. Journal of Adolescent & Adult Literacy,
44(8), 714-725.
        Hartman, D. K. (1991) The intertextual links of readers using
multiple passages: A postmodern/semiotic/ cognitive view of meaning
making. In J. Zutell & S. McCormick (eds), Learner Factors/Teacher
Factors: Issues in Literacy Research and Instruction (40th Yearbook
of the National Reading Conference), National Reading Conference:
Chicago, IL.
        Kern, R. (2000). Literacy and Language Teaching. Oxford:
Oxford University Press.
        McCormick, K. (1994). The culture of reading and the teaching
of English. Manchester: Manchester University Press.

Socio-cultural approaches to reading and literacy
        Beach, R. (1992).  Adopting multiple stances in conducting
literacy research. In Multidisciplinary Perspectives on Literacy
Research, R. Beach, J. Green, M. Kamil, & T. Shanahan (eds). Urbana,
Illinois: National Council of Teachers of English.
        Bloome, D. (1993). Necessary indeterminacy and the
microethnographic study of reading as a social process. In Journal of
Reading Research, 16(2), 98-111.
        Gee, J. P. (2000). Discourse and sociocultural studies in
reading. In M. Kamil,  P. Mosenthal, P. Pearson, & R. Barr (eds).
Handbook of Reading Research. Volume III.  Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence
Erlbaum Associates, Inc.
        Green, J. (1991). Embeddedness of reading in classroom life.
In Towards a critical sociology of reading pedagogy, C. Baker & A.
Luke (eds). John Benjamins North America, Inc.
        Heap, J. L. (1991). A situated perspective on what counts as
reading.  In Towards a critical sociology of reading pedagogy, C.
Baker & A. Luke (eds). John Benjamins North America, Inc.
        Johns, A. (1997). Text, role, context: Developing academic
literacy. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.

Cognitive-constructivist approaches to reading and learning

        Greene S. & Ackerman, D. (1995). Expanding the constructivist
metaphor: A rhetorical perspective on literacy research and practice.
Review of Educational Research, 65(4), 383-420.
        Haas, C. (1993). Beyond "Just the facts": Reading as
rhetorical action. In Hearing ourselves think: Cognitive research in
the college writing classroom, A. Penrose & B. Sitko Eds. New York:
Oxford University Press.
        Haas, C. & Flower, L. (1988). Rhetorical reading strategies
and the construction of meaning. College Composition and
Communication, 39(2), 167-183.
        Tierney, R. & LaZansky, J. The rights and responsibilities of
readers and writers: A contractual agreement. Reading Education
Report No. 15.
        Nist, S. & Simpson, M.  (2001). An update on strategic
learning: It's more than textbook reading strategies. Journal of
Adolescent & Adult Literacy, 43 (6), 528-41.
        Pressley, M.  &  Afflerbach, P. (1995). Verbal protocols of
reading: The nature of constructively responsive reading. New Jersey:
Lawrence Earlbaum Associates.
        Simpson, M. & Nist, S. (2000). College Studying.  In M.

--

Dominic (Nic) J. Voge
Study Strategies Program Coordinator

(510) 643-9278
http://slc.berkeley.edu

SPRING 2005 OFFICE HOURS:
Drop-in: Tu 3:15-4:15 & Thu 1:30-2:30
By Appointment: Mon 4-4:45 & 4:45-5:30, Tu  4-4:45 & 4:45-5:30, Wed
10-30-11:15 & 11:15-12:00, Fri 10-10:30 & 10:30-11:00.

Knowledge emerges only through invention and reinvention,  through
the restless, impatient, continuing, hopeful inquiry men pursue in
the world, with the world, and with each other. --Paolo Freire

In body type: SIGNOFF LRNASST-L

July 2022
June 2022
May 2022