LISTSERV Archives

GSAMENSISSUES-L Home

GSAMENSISSUES-L  March 2005

GSAMENSISSUES-L March 2005

Re: gsa symposium

Edward Thompson <[log in to unmask]>

GSA Mens' Issues SIG <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 15 Mar 2005 06:41:03 -0500

text/plain

Hi Sara,

Tanya and I are pulling together two of the three symposia on old men.
The two Tanya has drafted address gender, diversity and aging.  We are
at the stage of getting everything to the finish line.  Unfortunately,
that means abstracts need to be limited to 150 words.  The software that
the GSA uses actually word counts.  I've taken the liberty to edit your
abstract "down" to 147 words.  Does it read okay?

Reconsidering gender and marital status in later life:
Inequalities in material and social resources.
S. Arber, Centre for Research on Ageing and Gender,
University of Surrey, Guildford, Surrey GU2-7XH, UK

     A major change over recent years has been the growth in divorce;
UK projections suggest there will be as many divorced men over age 65 as
widowers by 2020. Reduced gender differences in mortality are also
changing the contours of marital status in later life.
     The paper argues that a reassessment of the meaning of marital
status in old men's later life is timely. Analysis of combined years
of the British General Household Survey is used to illustrate how
marital status is linked to material disadvantage and social networks,
but in complex and gender-differentiated ways.  Older men who never
married or divorced are disadvantaged both socio-economically and in
access to support from informal carers, while married men are
advantaged.  The policy implications of the ways in which material and
social resources in later life are linked to the intersection of gender
and marital status will be outlined.

Thanks,
Ed

_________________________________
Edward H. Thompson, Jr., Ph.D.
Professor of Sociology
Director, Gerontology Studies Program
Department of Sociology & Anthropology
Holy Cross College
1 College Street
Worcester, MA 01610
508-793-3468         508-793-3709 fax

>>> [log in to unmask] 02/25/05 7:51 PM >>>
Tanya,

I would be very interested in submitting a paper to your proposed
second symposium on 'Gender, diversity and aging'.   I have given a
first draft of an abstract below.

Please let me know if this might fit in to what you have in mind for
the symposium.   Best wishes,

Sara

Sara Arber,

Professor of Sociology,

Co-Director, Centre for Research on Ageing and Gender (CRAG),

University of Surrey,

Guildford,

Surrey GU2-7XH, UK

Tel:  00-44-(0)1483-686973;   Fax:  oo-44-(0)1483-689551

www.soc.surrey.ac.uk/sara_arber.htm
<https://outlook2003.surrey.ac.uk/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.soc.surrey.ac.uk/sara_arber.htm>

Reconsidering gender and marital status in later life: Inequalities in
material and social resources

Research on gender and later life has previously focused mainly on
older women with relatively little attention paid to older men.  A major
change over recent years has been the growth in divorce, for example UK
projections suggest there will be as many divorced men over age 65 as
widowers by 2020. Reduced gender differences in mortality are also
changing the contours of marital status in later life.

The paper argues that a reassessment of the meaning of marital status
in later life is timely. Analysis of combined years of the British
General Household Survey is used to illustrate how marital status is
linked to material disadvantage and social networks, but in complex and
gender-differentiated ways.  Older men who are never married or divorced
are disadvantaged both socio-economically and in access to support from
informal carers, while married men are advantaged.  The pattern is
somewhat different for older women, with divorced women materially
disadvantaged and never married women advantaged. There is less effect
of women's marital status on their social contacts with family and
friends.  The policy implications of the ways in which material and