Charlotte Harbor 100

David Simpson <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 19 Mar 2005 20:26:16 -0500

text/plain

Hi Folks,

Let me tell you what Team Punk did last weekend.  We participated in
the first annual Charlotte Harbor 100, a birdathon to raise money for
Peace River Audubon Society.  The idea was hatched last year when Jeff
Bouton and Paul Holmes found 100 species within Charlotte County during
a casual six hours of birding.  This year, Paul set up a birdathon in
conjunction with the spring meeting of FOS.  Since Andy and I were both
attending the meeting, we decided that we would challenge the home town
champions.  I have little time to devote to Big Days this year.  The
unique nature of this Big half Day was intriguing.  The competition
starts and ends at the same location and runs from 0600 to 1200.  All
species must be within Charlotte County.  I was familiar with the
hotspots of Charlotte County from many Big Days and one trip with Mr.
Bouton himself.  A six hour birdathon in this county was too much to
resist.  So Andy and I gathered a few pledges and set ourselves to the
challenge.

I had but one day to scout for this competition, since I wanted to
check out the field trips during the meeting.  I arrived near dawn
Friday and began the campaign to topple the hometown heros.  I had 3
1/2 hours during the drive from Rockledge to contemplate the game plan.
  Babcock-Webb WMA would figure prominently in the competition.  Given
my familiarity with the site and the birds present, I decided to
concentrate my limited scouting on areas with which I was less
familiar.  It was still dark when I arrived in the couny, so I wandered
out to Ponce DeLeon Park on the south side of the harbor.  My intention
was to find out when the gates open.  Upon arriving at 0545, the gates
were already open.  I sat in the parking lot wondering if I should
begin daylight here or continue on to the Aqui Esta Ponds.  I decided
it was best to check the ponds to see what remained of the winter flock
of Hooded mergansers.  The pond hosted an impressive number of Hooded
mergansers, many of which stayed the morning.  Also present in the pond
were moorhens, a Pied-billed grebe, Ring-necked ducks, and three Lesser
scaup.  Who knows which of these would be key on the CH 100?

The other area of interest was the park located on the southeast corner
of Aqui Esta and Bal Harbour.  This park could hold some seemingly
uninteresting but significant species for a birdathon of limited
geographic extent.  There were House wrens, gnatcatchers, a ground
dove, a pair of Cooper's hawks, and a singing Prairie warbler.  The
warbler could be significant.  If we can get it here, we may be able to
cut out Ponce DeLeon Park and recoup some time.  I don't know the
status of Cooper's hawk in the county, but this pair seems to be
attached to the area.  They were flying and calling to each other like
a nesting pair.

My next target area was the Harborview and Deep Creek areas east of
I-75, north of the Peace River.  En route, I checked a dock on the east
side of SR 41 and north side of the Peace River.  There were many Royal
terns, Laughing and Ring-billed gulls, but no Sandwich terns.  Lesser
scaup were present in numbers, but no Red-breasted mergansers or loons
save one flyover Common loon.  I did see a flock of turnstones on a
distant dock.  I wasn't sure yet where we would find our coastal
species on Sunday, so turnstones might be significant.  As I passed
over I-75, I noticed a dirt road heading south of Harborview Blvd.  I
decided to check the area as an alternate for scrub jays.  The habitat
was pretty bad, but it is near the Deep Creek/Harborview population.
If I could find an alternate spot, we could cut out the Deep Creek loop
and save more time.  As it turned out, I would not find any jays.  I
followed the road back until it ended (for 2WD vehicles) at a borrow
pond.  The pond held little of interest with the exception of some
roosting Black-crowned night-herons.  I continued the search for
alternative scrub jays sites south of Harborview Blvd. across from Deep
Creek Elementary with a similar degree of success.  I did finally pick
up an alternative scrub jay spot in route to Harborview Park.  The park
was still closed due to damage from the hurricanes, but I was able to
see the nesting Yellow-crowned night-herons Andy and I found last
summer.  Nice to have one in your pocket. I continued through the Deep
Creek area and found many scrub jays, shrikes, and a Brown thrasher.  I
don't know if these will be significant or not, but I have learned
through experience to keep everything in mind.  You never know what
turns the day will take.

The next area on the list was Washington Loop Rd.  This road loops east
from US 17 north of I-75.  I traveled north on Kings Highway, looping
through DeSoto County on CR 679 and 671 before heading south on US 17
back into Charlotte County.  I have had caracara on US 17 en route to
Arcadia in the past.  I don't remember if they were in Charlotte
County.  There is certainly some habitat, but no caracara today.  I
found a Snail kite in DeSoto County, but that won't do us any good on
Sunday.  Hathaway park, located on the south side of the loop was the
next stop.  This would likely prove the only place for songbirds.  It
is a good backup for Limpkin if the bird at Webb fails us.  I missed
the north end of the loop, so I started up the south side.  Red-headed
woodpeckers can sometimes be found near a farm on this side.  On this
day, I would not see or hear them.  There are still some suitable trees
and some hurricane-killed trees that will soon be suitable.  Robins
were still present in good numbers, I saw a flock of 200+ cross the
road.  Lynn Bates, our local guide to the secret spots of Charlotte
County, called while I searched for the missing woodpeckers.  We
discussed some plans for Sunday.  I decided that she would be in charge
of the north side of the harbor, since I would not likely be able to
scout that area.  We set a meeting time and agreed that we would fill
in the gaps in my knowledge with her 31 years of local experience.  I
continued to Hathaway Park where I immediately found titmouse,
Great-crested flycatcher, Northern parula, and screaming Limpkin.  The
Limpkin was down by the river, of course.  I didn't see it at first,
but spied another bird across the river.  The more visible of the pair
was standing on a branch preening herself.  I say herself, based on the
aloof behavior.  This attitude in contrast to the screamer, perched on
a branch amongst a tangle of vines above and to my left, led me to
believe that this was a courting pair.  The screamer was alternating
between the characteristic piercing wails of his species and bouts of
bill clicking and careful arrangement of the vines around him.  It
appeared that he was building a nest and showing off this fact to his
prospective mate and any predators that my be within hearing.  Nesting
Limpkin is an even better backup!  I walked all of the trails at the
park, a first for me.  I found kinglet and goldfinches, but no other
migrants.  This spot should prove useful.

I continued around the loop hoping for more scrub jays and White-winged
dove.  I came up with none of either, but did find some interesting
habitat on the east side of the loop.  Serene Drive, bisecting the
loop, had an old orange grove that was yet to be developed.  This
habitat was in short supply in my limited knowledge of the county.  I
didn't find anything interesting at this time, but it was getting late.
  Sunday we planned to be here earlier.

There wasn't much else to see on this day.  I checked a flooded pasture
for shorebirds and spotted only Killdeer.  I timed a route out on SR 74
to SR 31 and down into Lee County.  If we were really doing well on
time, we could try this route for caracara and Swallow-tailed kite;
both of which I saw on this trip.  My final note was a Bald eagle on a
nest on the east side of Jones Loop, not far from the starting and
ending point of the competition.  Another backup spot.  After this, it
was on to the FOS meeting.

Sunday, Team Punk and Lynn Bates would make our run at the record.
That story will have to wait as I need my sleep tonight.

David Simpson
Rockledge, FL
 http://homepage.mac.com/simpsondavid/

David Simpson