]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SOCNET Home

SOCNET  May 2005

SOCNET May 2005

Re: Social Software and "Real World" Social Capital?

Stephen Thair <[log in to unmask]>

Stephen Thair <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 1 May 2005 16:42:29 +0100

text/plain

It sort of depends on your definitions I think...

In the UK Friends Reunited is extremely popular and well documented in
the popular press for its role in libel, divorce, cyber-stalking and
other events rated newsworthy in the tabloid press ;-)
http://www.friendsreunited.co.uk/

Similar site back in Aus is www.schoolfriends.com.au

Universities tend to have alumni sites that form similar functions e.g.
http://www.henleymc.ac.uk/henleymc03.nsf/pages/alumni. I am sure the US
fraternity/sorority have similar sites but I suspect that you guys over
the pond would know more about that than me!

Likewise large consultancy firms have similar alumni portals for social
and business networking - http://www.big4.com/

Most of these are simply portals though... I doubt they meet any more
specific definition of social software.

Something like LinkedIn can certainly be used to support existing F2F
networks e.g. by tracking down old colleagues, university friends etc,
and definitely has more "social software" features that the flat portals
mentioned above...

... but it's not a collaborative workspace, nor is it "adaptive to its
environment" in the way the Headshift guys talk about it -
http://www.headshift.com/moments/archives/sss2.html

So I guess it really depends on what level of support you think a social
network needs... is email, SMS texting, Skype and an Outlook address
book enough?

Cheers,
Steve

Stephen Thair