Skip repetitive navigational links

Re: Ideas to Revamp Tutor Orientation?

Julie Shattuck <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 6 Jun 2005 12:31:29 -0400

text/plain

Thank you very much Karin, I'm CCing the listserv on this reply so all
can share in your ideas.

Julie

>>> "Winnard, Karin" <[log in to unmask]> 6/6/2005 8:20 AM >>>
Some ideas for you.

1) Orientation can be inclusive of veteran tutors as well.  Since the
tutors are all part of the same team.  The veteran panel idea is a
great
one.  I have used it and students consistently liked that part of the
training.

2) Is Orientation part of training or just orientation?  I would put
as
much of the administrative information in a packet as you can and give
it to the new tutors prior to Orientation so they can read it and be
prepared with any questions they might have.  Then just take 10
minutes
to spot check questions/answers, etc.  Make sure the packet has clip
art
in it and is as succinct as possible.  Have English tutors proof it
and
other tutors as well to know if it is boring or good to go.

3) Demonstrations that involve the new tutors are good.  Remember that
they are all a little nervous about this new adventure they have
agreed
to embark on.  Creating a team, I believe is key.  Role playing by
veterans, playing a memory game or/actively involving your new tutors
in
a discussion of their concerns (fears) and then making sure you
address
them so the fear can turn to relief (e.g., "I won't know all the
answers"..."You don't need to know all the answers... and have them
figure out why" may be a new twist.

4) Can you make a humorous video on some of the material? Or put some
humor into it?

I don't know if you are just bored with your material or if the
students
are bored with the material.  I used to do my best to cram in the
administrative material during that time and found out that it was
better if I did a little bit in Orientation, a lot of it in an
administrative packet, and a little of it in training.  I used
Orientation for ALL tutors, for them to get to know each other and
build
relationships with each other along with reviewing and introducing key
information.

If you want more information, I am happy to speak with you over the
phone.

Good luck!

Karin Winnard, Director
First Year Programs
Evaluator, International Tutor Certification Program (CRLA)
Newbury College
Brookline, MA

617-730-7109