Help for RECMGMT-L Archives

RECMGMT-L Archives

Subject: Guidelines. Ethics. ARMA International Association for Information Management Professionals. Re: Denial. Delay. Public Records. ASAP American Society of Access Professionals
From: Don Saklad <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 20 Jun 2005 00:26:18 -0400

To the kind people out there not posting, participating by
reading, participating by your use of the good parts of the forum
here, a valuable resource... if you would, please give greater
consideration to the contrarian contributions you've read about
denial of access or delaying access to public records at our
boston city hall

To the kind regular forum participants contributing with your

Denial of access and delay are a matter of concern for people
interested in improving records management among boston city
departments including
public records of our boston city clerk,
public archives of our public library department,
public records of our boston city council offices and
public records of our boston finance commission.

Consider boston city hall a case example. Other North American
cities similarly have the problematical records management
practices that deny or delay access to public records.

Consider the training offered by the ASAP
American Society of Access Professionals at

Consider the lack of attention to state, local emphasis on local
FOI freedom of information guidelines, principles
by The Information Management Journal.

In general, professional approaches to records management have
been regrettably weighted to drawing attention away from well
appropriate concerns about denial of access and delay of access
for public records. An example of this is the deficient records
management at our boston city hall.

Give state and local FOI freedom of information principles,
sunshine open meeting principles,
open government principles
a more appropriate priority among your efforts, among your
enthusiasms regarding state and local public records management.

State and local FOI Freedom of Information

Academy of Certified Archivists

Massachusetts Archivist of the Commonwealth
Texas State Library and Archives Commission
New Mexico Commission of Public Records State Records Center and Archives
Illinois State Archives

California State Archives
Alabama Department of Archives and History
and other North American states, provincial archivists

ARMA Boston Chapter
ARMA International
ARMA Chicago

ARMA Pacific Region
Southeast ARMA Region
and other North America ARMA regionals, chapters

List archives at