Re: a game of nodes and links

Joshua O'Madadhain <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 11 Jul 2005 12:56:09 -0700

text/plain

Shannon:

JUNG (jung.sourceforge.net) is a Java API for networks.  It includes
a number of different algorithms available for it, including
clustering and ranking methods, and you can .  As one of the
architects and primary (ab)users of JUNG, I can personally attest
that it can handle networks of the size you describe--although
specific data types you use.

I will be presenting a paper on temporal ranking methods for networks
at the KDD conference this August (at the LinkKDD workshop).  I used
JUNG for these investigations.  One of the other JUNG architects
(Danyel Fisher) has also used JUNG in his research relating to the
temporal evolution of networks.

As for visualization: JUNG's layout algorithms don't scale to
networks of that size--but you'd be hard put to meaningfully render a
network with 100K+ vertices on a standard display anyway (after all,
that's at least 2x the number of pixels you have).  I had a
conversation with Peter Eades last year in which he indicated that
there are in fact faster methods for layout than the ones we
currently provide; you might check out his research (and that of his
students) to see what they've been up to.  JUNG is continuing to
evolve, so we may incorporate some of these algorithms at a later time.

Joshua

On 11 Jul 2005, at 12:31, Shannon Clark wrote:

> Pat,
>
> Thanks. Pajek looks close to what I would need, however as I am
> looking
> at commercial - not non-commercial uses it may not be an option.
>
> Netdraw appears to have a capacity of only about 3500 nodes, great for
> SNA but I'm looking at problem domains which may have 100k+ nodes and
> 500k+ links (possibly a lot more of each) - not to mention that I'm
> looking at networks over time - but probably could do the temporal
> slicing separately.
>
> So while I'm open to looking at existing software (provided commercial
> use licenses are available), I'm happier with looking at published
> algorithms and approaches and adapting those.
>
> In a related question, does anyone know of visualization software
> which
> handles temporally coded data - i.e. take an example of say email
> communications - is there any visualization software (or approaches)
> which handles showing connections over time ranges (i.e. connections
> last month, connections this month) - ideally over variable time
> scales
> (today, last week, last month, last quarter, etc)
>
> Thanks!
>
> Shannon

Joshua O'Madadhain: Information Scientist, Musician, and Philosopher-
At-Tall
   It's that moment of dawning comprehension that I live for--Bill
Watterson
   My opinions are too rational and insightful to be those of any
organization.