Re: networks in law

Ken Cousins <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 14 Jul 2005 11:13:26 -0400

text/plain

Lin, beginning in the mid-1970s, several researchers have tried to apply network concepts to the study of precedent. Prominent researchers in this subfield include: Caldeira (1985, 1988); Harris; Johnson (1985, 1986); Landes etal (1976, 1998); and Spriggs II etal (2000; 2002).  I can supply a longer bibliography (or endnote library) to anyone who's interested.

My team is also working on an NSF-funded project on legal citation networks here at the University of Maryland (www.bsos.umd.edu/gvpt/CITE-IT). The short version is we're that trying to identify federal-level citation patterns throughout the history of a single area of law (regulatory takings).

Complexity arises from the need to identify the full case corpus with minimal error. Since the legal topic we are studying has evolved over time (in both terminology and interpretation), we've found this step to be quite challenging. We currently have a corpus of ~2,700 decisions, and have generated preliminary network data. We are in the process of performing structured spot-checks to refine the pool (and calculate the rate of false-positives), but plan to shift to full-on network analyses by the end of summer.

Regards,

Ken Cousins
Harrison Program on the Future Global Agenda
Department of Government and Politics
3114 P Tydings Hall
University of Maryland, College Park
T: (301) 405-6862
F:  (301) 314-9690

"The important thing is not to stop questioning.
Curiosity has its own reason for existing."
       Albert Einstein

www.bsos.umd.edu/gvpt/kcousins
http://augmentation.blogspot.com

From:    Linton Freeman <[log in to unmask]>

Does anyone know of any studies of network structures in law--citations or
authorities--beyond these:

Harris, Peter. 1982. "Structural Change in the Communication of Precedent
among State Supreme Courts, 1870-1970." Social Networks 4(3):201-212.

Harris, Peter. 1985. "Ecology and Culture in the Communication of
Precedent among State Supreme Courts, 1870-1970." Law and Society Review
19(3):449-480.

Thanks,
Lin Freeman

Linton C. Freeman
Institute for Mathematical Behavioral Sciences
Department of Sociology
School of Social Sciences  SSPA 2143
University of California
Irvine, CA 92697-5100