BEST-L September 2005

BESTS Update

Brian Becker <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 8 Sep 2005 23:31:37 -0400

text/plain

All,

  A brief update to let ya'll know what we've been up to.  In no particular
order:

1.    Officer elections and registrations - After a slight delay, the club
is being registered with the following officers:

a.    Pres - Brian Becker

b.    Tres - Claudia Wald

c.    Sec - Stephanie Henry

d.    PR - Matt Pellnitz

e.    Workshop Coordinator - Mike Friedlander

2.    We have a workshop available to us out at the Energy Park!  Today,
Mike established his very first digester to produce methane!  His high-tech
design included a 5-gallon bucket w/lid, a whole bunch of air-potato vine
and a bit of the sweet brew from Dr. Wilkie's digester out at the Dairy
Unit.  Stay tuned for results.

3.    More Workshop stuff - Mike also brought back a ~30 gallon kettle
digester from the Dairy Unit.  It has been sitting for a bit so will need to
have most of the hoses, wires, gaskets, etc. replaced.  But the kettle
itself is in beautiful shape.  So, anyone who would like to get involved in
getting this digester up and running, and later, to participate in
experimental runs with various feedstocks, please respond to this message.
We would like to have everyone meet out at the Energy Park in the next week
or so to inventory the workshop, work out access, and get started brewing.!

4.    Our next speaker will likely be the 20th of October.  We will announce
once we have confirmed this.  In the meantime, let's meet at the Energy Park
(See item #3).

5.    Please check out the announcement from the Wetlands Club at the end of
this message and have a great week!

Cheers,

Brian

Brian Becker

Ph.D. Student - Interdisciplinary Ecology

School of Natural Resources and Environment

Rm. 3, Bldg 182, Mowry Rd

PO Box 110831

University of Florida

Gainesville, Fl 32611-0831