]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

BEST-L Home

BEST-L  September 2005

BEST-L September 2005

Re: ASES Meeting - "Hydrogen Production using Solar Energy"

Marcelo Dias de Oliveira <[log in to unmask]>

Bioenergy and Sustainable Technology Society <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 22 Sep 2005 11:05:42 -0400

text/plain

Allow me to participate of this discussion. I don't have the same authority
and/or  knowledge of you guys, but I want to participate anyway.

Most of you don't know me. My master's dissertation was on ethanol fuel
production and environmental impacts.

For what I will write I don't have data at the top of my mind. But I don't
think
numbers are the big issue here.

I do realize that there are some serious problems when considering the use
of
renewable sources to substitute fossil fuels in large scale considering
current
scenarios. Actually during our work (also Dr. Burton Vaughan and Dr. Edward
Rykiel Jr. from WSU), we came to a conclusion that would be unfeasible in
terms
of cropland requirements, for the whole US passengers cars fleet to use
ethanol.

However in our conclusions we did not totally disregard the use of ethanol
fuel,
basically because Increasing research might improve efficiency of fuel
ethanol
production, reducing its energy costs and environmental impacts to a point
that
ethanol could have fractional participation  along with other sources on the
role of substituting fossil fuels.

I have the sense (and lack of data), that the amount of solar energy that
reaches the earth in a daily basis should be a factor encouraging the
pursuit of
the efficient utilization of this energy source. Here again, research might
play
a big role, bigger than in ethanol, in my opinion.

We would not be using cell phones today if we decided back on the 80's,
considering costs and other technical aspects, that it was worthless to
invest
in such technology.

Also the potential for Hydrogen production need to be better assessed, not
only
considering current scenarios.

Again, I acknowledge that current scenarios are not very favorable for
renewable
sources at large scales, however, just disregarding those options doesn't
seem
wise to me.

I agree with Dr. Humphrey that we should have a more optimistic view in this
issue and I wanted to thank him for sharing information about solar energy
ongoing projects and perspectives.

I also agree with Dr. Hurford about nuclear energy potential, and also want
thank him for sharing all those information.  As an immediate alternative
source
for fossil fuels, nuclear energy is readily available, and could have a
great
contribution.

Nuclear generating does not generate CO2, and it has inconsequential other
pollution features.

The main objections to nuclear power have been a) radiation health
hazard, b) potential for diversion of nuclear fuel to warfare purposes,
and c) uneconomical without massive subsidy. The first two
considerations are potential problems, only; the last consideration was
true in the past, but can no longer be claimed.

I am not advocating adoption of one or another option for the future, at
least
not right now. Although I confess I already had better expectation about
renewable sources. My biggest hope still relies on the sun energy.

I think the energy issues should be carefully and unbiased analyzed.  And
these
kind of discussions are very important. Current scenarios are not favorable
renewable energy in large scale; nuclear power might be an immediate option.
But we should not rely just on current scenarios.

Again, as an environmentalist and ecologist, my hopes rely on the sun.

Thank you all for the attention,

Marcelo.