Skip repetitive navigational links

Smarthinking K-CORE English pilot

"Wade, William L (West Kentucky)" <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 26 Sep 2005 12:01:56 -0400

text/plain

composition pilot, here are a few early reflections.

Not having access to the list server until Sunday has put me at a slight
disadvantage since all of the information I have received about the
discussion has been forwarded to me by friends. So, let me start by
telling a little about who I am. I am a long time veteran of teaching
and the Kentucky Community and Technical College System. I have taught
both online and physical classes and taught my first online class in
1991. I have two masters degrees: one in education from the University
of Virginia, and one in English from Murray State University, in Murray,
Kentucky. My classes are typically successful because I have two driving
forces: maintaining quality and caring deeply for my students. It is
with that background that I came to the development of a pilot course in
English.

Over a year ago, I became involved in a K-CORE project. K-CORE is a
course redesign program with the purpose of looking into ways to offer
composition and other courses to a greater number of students without
loss of quality. It is that single factor which brought me to the
project. I was determined to make sure that quality did not become the
expendable element in a plan to increase enrollment. Here is what I
included in my course plan. A collaborative course built in modules with
broad support for student learning in an outcomes based plan. Six people
worked together to produce the initial course shell. A master teacher of
thirty plus years with extensive online experience built the primary
plan. An online teacher with experience in English teaching was
designated as the content director (teacher). An experienced academic
advisor was put into the class to guide the students and assist them in
developing an academic plan. Three objective outsiders, one online
teaching veteran and two  online students, who would do continual
evaluation of the course and the addition of online tutoring from a
professional tutorial company, Smarthinking. Added to that was the grade
guidance piece of the plan. Smarthinking, with a qualitative assessment
of student writing would suggest a grade equivalent for work submitted.

We began the process knowing several things. One, this pilot would cost
more than the average class. Two, the class would require more work of
the course designer, teacher, advisor, and evaluators than classes that
would follow. Three, we assumed that the teacher would be required to do
more reading of essays than a traditional class would require because
quality assurance was of major importance. Four, student selection would
be such that only screened students would have exposure to the class.
Five, once we completed the class we would be able to make a variety of
projections about course content, quality, scalability, and
practicality. Six, we would publish our findings for public scrutiny.

We are early in the semester and several outcomes are already evident.
One, we did not screen students. The initial enrollment of 49 was made
up of students who enrolled in the last week of registration. An
orientation gave them insight into the make up of the class. Only one
graded assignment has been turned in to date. Two, it is too early to
make judgments based on a single essay, but it is clear that the teacher
is reading more drafts of student writing as the draft submitted to the
tutor, the draft submitted to the e-instructors for grade guidance, and
the final draft submitted to the teacher all have been read. Three, our
modules are having positive results for some students and other students
need more instruction and guidance.

I have read with pleasure the reactions to the initial article. I will
continue to review those for insights into the teaching learning
process.

William Wade

William Wade

Distance Learning Coordinator

West Kentucky Community and Technical College

4810 Alben Barkley Dr

Paducah Ky 42002-7380

Office Phone:  270-534-3126

Cell Phone: 270-559-9192