]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SOCNET Home

SOCNET  September 2005

SOCNET September 2005

Re: Katrina-related...re: Improving metadata for disaster-relief and uniting families and loved ones.

Edward Vielmetti <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 9 Sep 2005 17:38:33 -0400

text/plain

Caroline, Anita, SOCNET -

I forwarded this post off to Jon Lebkowsky who
suggested I push it toward the people who are
inventing PFIF, the People Finder Information
Format, a common data structure that is being
used for interchange between the various
people finding efforts.  That group has a
mailing list at [log in to unmask] .
There's a lot of techie implementation details
flying past on the list but some social networks
perspective on search would be invaluable -
e.g. I know there's literature on how people
search for each other through incomplete
networks of information that could inform this effort.

thanks

Ed

On 9/9/05, Caroline Haythornthwaite <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> The following is a call for help in getting an issue through
> to the Red Cross, but it is a network issue. As you'll see
> below, the issue it connecting kids to parents by name, but
> names are only nicknames.
>
> Any suggestions on how to deal with this, Friendster, etc.
> included are probably best sent directly to
>
> /Caroline

Edward Vielmetti in Ann Arbor, MI 48104
+1 734 276 5910
http://beta.plazes.com/whereis/edwardvielmetti