Help for SOCNET Archives

SOCNET Archives

Subject: forming ties before you need them
From: Valdis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 5 Sep 2005 13:41:47 -0400

My biggest take-away from this year's MeshForum conference  was the
FEMA person on a panel about connecting to handle catastrophes.  She
said something amazing, yet so basic.  She talked about Table-Top
meetings before any major event. "We must KNOW others before working
together in an emergency -- if we are strangers at an emergency, that
is a BIG problem."
[Not an exact quote]

Then we see this in today's New York Times...  her fears realized.

"We wanted soldiers, helicopters, food and water," said Denise
Bottcher, press secretary for Gov. Kathleen Babineaux Blanco of
Louisiana."They[FEMA] wanted to negotiate an organizational chart."

Valdis