Help for SOCNET Archives

SOCNET Archives

Subject: Re: Status and hierarchy
From: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 1 Sep 2005 16:58:53 +0100

The Krackhardt measures are in UCINET
Go to Network>cohesion>Krackhardt GTD

Date sent:              Thu, 1 Sep 2005 17:01:55 +0200
Send reply to:          Thomas Friemel <[log in to unmask]>
From:                   Thomas Friemel <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Status and hierarchy
To:                     [log in to unmask]

> Dear list members,
>
> I'm working on the analysis of the hierarchical structure in digraphs
> and on the position (status) of single nodes in it. By doing so, I
> tried to apply Krackhardt's hierarchization index (1994) but couldn't
> find it in the applications I'm familiar with (UCINET, Pajek, VISONE).
> Could somebody point me to a software I can calculate it? But I'm also
> open for other ideas. If there are other indexes for the hierarchy of
> a network (which are implemented in a SNA software) please let me
> know.
>
> I've the same problem with the 'Iterated Hubbell' index for measuring
> the relative standing (status) in small groups, which is described by
> Doreian (1986). Any idea how I can calculate it or is it outdated
> anyway?
>
> Many thanks for your feedback!
> Thomas
>
> - Krackhardt, David (1994): Graph Theoretical Dimensions of Informal
> Organizations. In: Carley, Kathleen M./Prietula, Michael J.:
> Computational Organization Theory. Hillsdale, P. 89-111
>
> - Doreian, Patrick (1986): Measuring Relative Standing in Small Groups
> and Bounded Social Networks. In: Social Psychology Quarterly 49/3, S.
> 247-259.

> lic. phil. Thomas Friemel Research & Teaching Assistant
>
> IPMZ - Institute of Mass Communication and Media Research
> University of Zurich
> Andreasstrasse 15
> CH-8050 Zurich
>
> SWITZERLAND
>
> Tel. +41 (0)1 635 20 61
> Fax +41 (0)1 634 49 34
>
>  <blocked::mailto:[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask]
>  <blocked::http://www.ipmz.unizh.ch/> www.ipmz.unizh.ch
>
>  <blocked::http://www.ipmz.unizh.ch/home.html?/staff/mit_II_friemel.ht
>  ml>
> http://www.ipmz.unizh.ch/home.html?/staff/mit_II_friemel.html

Martin Everett
Marylebone Provost
University of Westminster
35 Marylebone Road
London NW1 5LS

Email [log in to unmask]
Tel +44(0)20 7911 5000 Ext 3183
Fax +44(0)20 7911 5051

only and may be confidential.  If they have come to you in error you
must
not copy or show them to anyone, nor should you take any action
based on
them, other than to notify the error by replying to the sender.