Help for SOCNET Archives

SOCNET Archives

Subject: References sought for typical values for SNA quantities
From: Jeremy Hackney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 20 Sep 2005 18:25:56 +0200

Hello-

I'm proposing a model of how transportation networks and social networks
interact. I have relevant data for ego networks to help specify visiting
behavior as a function of actor attributes, type of relationship and
transportation supply.

A global network (scope limited to a city, say) will emerge in the program
from the behavior of individual actors. I'd like to have a coarse measure
of the realism of the emergent social network, using SNA, to assess the
plausibility of the model's dynamics.

I seek a simple text or your firsthand experience from sociology to help
answer the following questions:

-Do sociologists use a particular set of fundamental social network
measures to describe global (or ego) social networks? (Degree, degree
distribution, clustering ... etc.)
-Are there rules of thumb, or realistic limits, for typical values of
statistical measures of global (or ego) social networks?
-Are there rules of thumb for how these values change with different types
of actors (person, firm, club), relationships (family, friend,
professional), contexts (e.g. urban/rural)?
-Are there commonly accepted measures of the temporal stability of these
statistics in a social network (speed of network evolution)?

I look forward to your responses, thanks-

Jeremy

IVT Wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter
ETH Hoenggerberg
HIL F51.3