Help for SOCNET Archives

SOCNET Archives

Subject: Re: on locating a student diaspora
From: Shannon Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 20 Sep 2005 15:25:35 -0500

A few thoughts.

One - you might try contacting the people behind classmates.com - they
make their current business out of helping former classmates reconnect -
I would imagine that they would likely be willing to help current
classmates disrupted by Katrina reconnect. They work via a login, self
registration/identification and then some form of matching with others
from the same school and with searches people perform on their site for
people - however I'm not a current user so I'm not 100% sure how they
work completely.

Two - I would imagine that you might get very far with an approach like
the following:

- Start by putting together a simple to use interface for the given
school listing who you know of already and where they are (perhaps how
to contact them but probably if this is intended as a web resource you
would obscure the contact details via a web form for email etc)

- Ask each person you know of to add who they have reached and contacted

- include the capability of not just individuals but groups - classes,
school activities, clubs etc. Make it easy for people to identify as a
member of a given group (and ideally then for the ability to "email
everyone whom we know of in homeroom 101, etc.)

- through these group links as well as direct connections start to
reassemble where everyone is.

It might also be possible to build on efforts that people are already
undertaking to consolidate information from the many websites about
Katrina survivors and help bring into focus those databases around a
given school. See http://katrinahelp.info/wiki/main.html which is the
effort of literally 1000's of people to consolidate information from the
many other resources available online, they have a people finder that
might serve as a starting point for this effort and I would imagine that
building on their data there may be a way to build up a set of resources
around individual schools (or other groups like local churches, crewes,
community groups etc).

Shannon