Help for SOCNET Archives

SOCNET Archives

Subject: Re: on locating a student diaspora
From: Bettina Hoser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 21 Sep 2005 09:44:59 +0200

Hi Edward

In Germany after the second world war many people had lost family members or friends. This was also the case for kids who had been sent out of the big cities for fear of bombing, and also for peolpe how were evacuating or just fleeing. The Red Cross (at least the german branch.

 webiste in german : http://www.drk.de/suchdienst/index.html

 website in engliish: http://www.drk-suchdienst.org/english/index.html)

has extensive knowledge of tracking down people. Maybe the american red cross can tab into that knowledge. I know that the people from the red cross germany used all kinds of links, even weak ties like the mentioning of a name in a letter. Maybe there are studies out there on this.

In times of the internet this should become easier, but this one is a 'time tested' method.

Maybe this helps. Good luck.
Bettina
--
Dr. Bettina Hoser
Informationsdienste und elektronische Märkte

Gebäude 20.20 RZ (Raum 164), Zirkel 2

Telefon: +49.721.608-8407
Telefax: +49.721.608-8403

http://www.em.uni-karlsruhe.de