Help for SOCNET Archives

SOCNET Archives

Subject: looking for researches on computer supported social networks...
From: Laura Iannelli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 2 Sep 2005 15:13:14 +0200

Dear network scholars,

i’m an italian Phd student in Theory and Social Research at the University “La Sapienza” of Rome. The title of my thesis is
“NETHODOLOGY. Social Network Analysis as a theoretical approach and an empiric tool for the study of relation technologies”.

What i’m posing to my italian scientific community, with this work, is a problem of research. Social analysts who work on human ties
mediated by network technologies are testing, on this research field, conceptual and empirical tools of sociological tradition.
Thanks to these tools, born to explain and interpret the offline reality, it is possible to anchor socio-technological networks to
less precarious analysis than the futuristic and journalistic ones. As eclectic anthologies, particularly from Anglo-Saxon
literature, testify, different approaches begin to pick niches for the legitimacy of their explanatory abilities out in particular
faces of the Internet, with the adaptation of the sociologists’ traditional methods (ethnography, content analysis, social network
analysis...).
In my work, i aim to consider possibilities and limits of the Social Network Analysis approach to the study of a reality more and
more technologically mediated. Some researchers of internet, european, u.s., canadian, has started studying computer-supported
social networks making explicit reference to this tradition of sociological analysis and research, the Structural Analysis and the
empirical tools of SNA.
What is the euristic ability of this approach for a sociology of CMC? What are the possibilities and the limits of this approach’s
theoretical concepts and methodological choices to the study of the patterns of network relations (on and offline)? What do we know
about the relationships developed through the support of telematic networks from this supply of empirical studies with explicit
reference to SNA approach?

In order to answer to these questions I’m collecting the researches that have analysed CMC territories (e-learners, net-citizens,
co-workers….) with the empirical tools of Social Network Analysis. I intend to analyse the research projects, their results, the
techniques and processes of data gathering.

I consider this mailing list a source of information for my collection. So I’d like to have from you some advises, bibliographic
indications and useful links.

Thank you in advance and…apologize for my English….

Laura Iannelli
Dipartimento di Sociologia e Comunicazione
Università degli Studi di Roma “La Sapienza”