Help for SOCNET Archives

SOCNET Archives

Subject: Re: looking for researches on computer supported social networks...
From: Ilan Talmud <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 2 Sep 2005 17:17:54 +0200

Dear Laura:

See the main basic works and references in:

Wellman, B., J. Salaff, D. Dimitrova, L. Garton, M. Gulia, and C.
Hythornthwaite. 1996. "Computer networks as social networks: collaborative
work, tele-work, and virtual community." Annual Review of Sociology,
22:213-239.

See also:

Hampton, K. and B. Wellman.( 2001). Long Distance Community in the Network
Society. American Behavioral Scientist. 45(3):477-496.

Hampton, K. N. and B., Wellman (2000). "Examining Community in the Digital
Neighbourhood: Early Results from Canada's Wired Suburb" By Keith Hampton
and Barry Wellman. Pp. 475-92 in Digital Cities: Technologies, Experiences,
and Future Perspectives, edited by Toru Ishida and Katherine Isbister.
Berlin: Springer-Verlag, 2000.

Wellman, B and M. Gulia, (1999). "Net-Serfers Don’t Ride Alone: Virtual
Communities as Communities”, Pp. 331-336 in B. Wellman (Ed.), Networks in
the Global Village. Boulder, Co. Westview Press.

 W   Wellman, B. (2001) "Physical Place and Cyber Place: The Rise of
Personalized Networking" International Journal of Urban and Regional
Research 25 (2): 227-52

 Chapter 6 in Lin, N., (2001):  Social Capital: A Theory of Social Structure
and Action. Cambridge, Cambridge University Press

Van Alstyne, M. (1996). Electronic Communities: Global Villages or
Balkanization? Unpublished paper. Boston:  MIT Sloan Schoo

Gustavo Mesch and Ilan Talmud Internet, Networks and Homophily: A Dyadic
Analysis International Journal of Internet Science (Forthcoming).
Gustavo Mesch and Ilan Talmud The Impact of Online Relations on Homophily: A
Social Network Analysis Journal of Research on Adolescence (forthcoming)
appear in my website specified below.

You might also find it useful to see: The Impact of Social Network and
Internet Connectivity on Place Attachment and Political Involvement: A
Comparative and Longitudinal Analysis in Israel and in the United States
(BSF Grant: 2003-2006) ( Gustavo Mesch, Ilan Talmud and Keith Hampton).
Project Site: http://soc.haifa.ac.il/community

I hope this would help.

Ilan Talmud, Ph.D.
Head, Graduate Studies
Department of Sociology and Anthropology,\
University of Haifa
Phones: 972-4--8240992 (direct)
972-4-8240995 / 8249505 (secretaries)
Fax: 972-4-8240819