Re: Birth of virtual communities

Joshua O'Madadhain <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 4 Nov 2005 07:52:58 -0800

text/plain

Emilie:

I suspect that if you look at Usenet newsgroup data that you'll find
quite a lot of examples of this sort of thing.  A specific variation
on this that I've seen twice involves, after a series of acrimonious
arguments, a new group being formed from a small subset of the
members of the old group, such that only a small fraction of the old
group is informed of the existence of the new.

(To make it more interesting, in one of these cases the group subset
actually appropriated a newsgroup for a completely unrelated topic
that hadn't attracted any traffic in a while, rather than creating a
new one.  :) )

Joshua O'Madadhain

On 4 Nov 2005, at 1:15, Emilie MARQUOIS-OGEZ wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm looking for examples of virtual communities that gave bearth to
> other virtual communities. I mean that the members of one virtual
> community (a mailing-list for instance) decided to have two virtual
> communities instead of one. The first one is about a subject and the
> second one is about another subject (linked to the first one, more
> specific, for instance).
>
> Have you ever heard of cases like this?
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Regards,
>
> Emilie Marquois-Ogez

> Emilie Marquois-Ogez
>
> Doctorante en informatique
>
> France Telecom R&D
> 38-40, rue du Général Leclerc
> 92794 Issy-les-Moulineaux
> Cedex France
>
> Equipes de recherche :
> - TECH/EASY/DIAG (France Telecom R&D)
> - Systèmes à objets coopératifs (IRIT - UT1)
>
> Tel : +33 (01) 45 29 81 91
> Fax : +33 (01) 45 29 69 26
>
> Page Web : http://www.univ-tlse1.fr/ceriss/soc/perso/marquois/Emilie%
> 20MARQUOIS.html

Joshua O'Madadhain: Information Scientist, Musician, and Philosopher-
At-Tall
   It's that moment of dawning comprehension that I live for--Bill
Watterson
   My opinions are too rational and insightful to be those of any
organization.