]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

GRADSTUDENT-L Home

GRADSTUDENT-L  2006

GRADSTUDENT-L 2006

Fall 2006 SPEAK Tests and EAP Courses for Potential GTAs

Gregory Orloff <[log in to unmask]>

Gregory Orloff <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 26 Jul 2006 16:54:37 -0400

text/plain

ANNOUNCEMENT

Date:  26 July 2006

To:    All UF Graduate Coordinators, Staff and Students

From:  Academic Spoken English

RE:    Fall 2006 SPEAK Test Dates and EAP Courses

All international graduate students whose first language is not English
(official first language of home country) and who may be appointed as
teaching assistants (with lecturing/lab responsibilities) need to have a
passing score (45 or higher) on either a TSE (Test of Spoken English --
administered by ETS) or a SPEAK test (administered on the UF campus.) In
addition, any international graduate teaching assistant whose first language
is not English who scores a 45 or 50 on a SPEAK or TSE test and who is
appointed to teach (with lecturing/lab responsibilities) must enroll, during
their first semester teaching, in a 3-credit EAP 5836 course. International
graduate students appointed as TA-G (grading and office hour
responsibilities only) are neither required to pass a SPEAK test nor
eligible to enroll in EAP 5836. SPEAK test dates for the Fall 2006 semester
are as follows:

Date              Time        Location

Aug 08 2006       6:00 pm     Turlington 1317

Aug 16 2006*      4:00 pm*    Turlington 1317*

Sep 12 2006       6:00 pm     Turlington 1317

Oct 18 2006       6:00 pm     Turlington 1317

Nov 14 2006       6:00 pm     Turlington 1317

Dec 06 2006       6:00 pm     Turlington 1317

* Available to new UF students only -- to register call 392-3286 or email

Information about SPEAK test registration as well as our oral communications
in English courses can be accessed through our program website --
http://ase.ufl.edu or by telephone -- 392-3286.  Please note that course
time information about our ASE courses is available in ISIS listed under
Linguistics.

Gordon Tapper
Coordinator
Academic Spoken English