]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

GRADSTUDENT-L Home

GRADSTUDENT-L  2006

GRADSTUDENT-L 2006

UF Graduate Student Council: December 7 Meeting

Gregory Orloff <[log in to unmask]>

Gregory Orloff <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 6 Dec 2006 09:55:01 -0500

text/plain

All UF graduate students are invited to attend the UF Graduate Student
Council's (GSC) monthly general meeting at 6:15 p.m. Thursday, 7 December
2006 in CSE E119 (Computer Science and Engineering Building) on the UF
campus in Gainesville, Florida.

Please bring a canned good as a donation for the Gainesville Food Bank's
Christmas food drive. Useful items are Canned meat, gravy, instant mashed
potatoes, cranberry sauce, canned veggies, canned fruit, meat stock, hot
chocolate, chunky soup, peanut butter and jelly, yams, breakfast bars, rice.
Gift certificates to grocery stores are also welcomed. Suggested donation is
one item per piece of pizza :) Donation may be dropped off all week at the
GSC office in Reitz 301, and at the GSC meeting.

Department representatives are required to attend these monthly meetings and
report back to their colleagues.

Refreshments (pizza and soda) and sign-in will start at 6:15 p.m.

On the agenda:

-- President Machen will be speaking on a topic of his choice

-- Attendance policy

-- Changes to the GSC Constitution will be presented for voting in January
(check the website)

-- Voting for the CLAS Dean's Faculty Finance Committee (see below)

-- Officer reports

We hope to see you there!

For more information about UF GSC, please click on this link to our website:

http://grove.ufl.edu/~gsc/wp/

Thank you!

***New Information about the CLAS Dean's Faculty Finance Committee***

Because few graduate students responded to our call for the CLAS Five Year
Plan Ad Hoc Committee, we are forced to abandon our plans to first form a
committee in order to elect a person to that seat. Still, CLAS Assembly
chairman John Moore would like GSC to elect the student seat on that
committee, and because the seat is a privilege that grad students worked
very hard for, we must come up with an alternate way to fill this slot
fairly. It is the feeling of the executive board that we need to go for a
more simple solution, so that we can get an elected representative onto the
committee in time for the meetings that will begin in January.

The student seat on the Dean's Faculty Finance Committee will be elected by
the general membership in the GSC general meeting on December 7 at 6:15 in
CSE E119 (Computer Science and Engineering Building, next to Marston Science
Library). Graduate students who would like to run for the spot on the DFFC
committee will be given a chance to speak for three minutes about why they
would be the best person for the committee. After the candidate speeches,
the membership will be allowed to comment on the candidates. Comments should
be a maximum of one minute long. After comments, voting members will vote on
the candidates, and the candidate that receives the maximum number of votes
will be given the seat. Once the seat has been filled, graduate students may
volunteer to be on GSC's Ad HocFive Year Plan Committee.

Candidates should email vice president Lindsey Collins at
[log in to unmask] to alert the executive board of their candidacy as
soon as possible, but candidates will be accepted up until the meeting.
Candidates do not have to be GSC representatives, but only representatives
or other voting members of GSC can vote for the candidates. Candidates'
names will be posted to the blog as they announce their candidacy, and
representatives are encouraged to check the blog for updated information.
http://grove.ufl.edu/~gsc.

Lindsey Collins
Department of English
The University of Florida