LISTSERV Archives

BEST-L Home

BEST-L  January 2006

BEST-L January 2006

Biofuels Weekly

"K.S. Winans" <[log in to unmask]>

Bioenergy and Sustainable Technology Society <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 27 Jan 2006 15:57:12 -0800

  Fwd from NORTH FL BIOFUELS NETWORK:

        News Release:
  •           DEP news release: http://www.dep.state.fl.us/secretary/news/2006/01/0117_01.htm (click on the Florida’s Energy Plan to review DEP Energy Plan Recommendations)
  •           NBB/USB Applaud DaimlerChrysler Approval of B20 in 2007 Dodge Ram Pickups: http://biodiesel.grassroots.com/Chrysler_B20_2007DodgeRam/

  Upcoming Workshop in Gainesville, FL
  Setting-up an Appleseed Processor and Making a Batch of Biodiesel (Titrate, Etc.)

  Date: Saturday, January 28th
  Time: 10 AM
  Place: 4119 NW 12th Ave.

  Directions: Take 8th Ave to NW 43rd St. Go North on NW 43rd St. Take your second right onto NW 12th Ave. 3rd house on the right. (There is a travel trailer in the front yard so you can't miss it.)

  For more information contact:
  Candace or Scott
  335-3551 or 339.0320

  Sustainable Sarasota
  Alternative Fuels and Transportation
  Nina Powers

  “Across the nation, the demand for energy and transportation fuel is outpacing supply… With more than 17 million citizens and nearly 1000 new residents arriving daily, electricity consumption is expected to increase by 30 percent over the next decade.” – Florida Department of Environmental Protection, January 17, 2006

  “There are many simple and inexpensive ways we can all help contribute to the nation’s strong economy while also curbing our energy demand…My h  Stationery   Use my signature SendSave as a DraftCancel ope is that the new tax credits will encourage Americans to become more energy efficient in the new year. Together our individual efforts toward energy efficiency can have a tremendous collective impact.”
  – Department Of Energy Assistant Secretary Karen Harbert, January 6, 2006

  Please join us in Sarasota, FL on Saturday, April 29, 2006 for a community energy festival.
  Get Empowered! - A Celebration of Energy will be held on the grounds of the G.WIZ Hands-On Childrens Museum located on beautiful Sarasota Bay. Thanks to a grant from the U.S. Department of Energy and the Florida Energy Office, Sarasota County has partnered with G.WIZ, City of Sarasota, and the School Board of Sarasota County to host a fun day-long event (10am to 4pm) to promote energy awareness, efficiency and conservation. Our focus is to engage the community and showcase alternative/renewable energy, energy efficiency and energy conservation businesses that provide products and services. G.WIZ Hands-On Childrens Museum will be open free to the public that day and each vendor/exhibitor will be asked to sponsor or host a hands-on learning experience for children at their booth.

  Sarasota County will be giving away energy efficient compact fluorescent ENERGY STAR lightbulbs to the first 300 attendees. Entertainment, demonstrations, and workshops to educate the attending public that focus on a sustainable energy future will also be featured. Sarasota County student energy-related Science Fair project boards will on display in G.WIZ (we may have a budding Nobel laureate in our midst!)  Florida Power & Light will sponsor renowned science instructor Robert Krampf and his "Electrifying Experience". Mr. Krampf has appeared on Late Night with David Letterman, The Discovery Channel's Know Zone, CBS This Morning, Fantastic Facts (in London) and CNN. The Florida Department of Environmental Protection is bringing a Ford Focus hydrogen fuel cell car to display and we will have other alternative fuel vehicles for the public to see also.

  Please see our attached vendor/exhibitor Save the Date for more information and how to contact us if interested in having a booth at Get Empowered! on April 29, 2006 in Sarasota.

  Florida Solar Energy Center
  University of Central Florida
  William Young

  The Clean Cities Congress and Expo 2006: Fueling Economic Solutions
  An international Congress and Exposition hosted by the Alternative Fuel Vehicle Institute and Arizona Clean Cities.  Over 1,300 attendees make this the one event that no fleet manager or industry professional can afford to miss
  When and where: May 7-10, 2006, in Phoenix, Arizona.

  Information on the Clean Cities Congress and Expo 2006?
  Visit us today at www.afvi.org

  The 2006 Short Course on Fuel Cell Technology
  February 5-8, 2006 $895 - 1,245
  For a full course listing go to: http://www.fsec.ucf.edu/ed/contin_ed/courses.htm

  BrevardBiodiesel.org
  Coming soon...
  Interviews/Profiles of biodiesel businesses located in Florida.
  Information on Brevard County meetings to share information about biodiesel. Currently there are a handful of people making their own biodiesel. We want to help coordinate sharing of their expertise.

  Check out the U.S. Biodiesel Map: http://www.brevardbiodiesel.org/map/bd.html

  Central Florida Clean Air Team, METROPLAN ORLANDO next meeting will be on February 9 at 2 p.m. at the below address.  If you need directions to our location, email Cynthia Lambert, Public Involvement Coordinator, at [log in to unmask]

  FREEDOM FUELS, INC.
  Freedom Fuels Inc. is in the home stretch to bring Biodiesel in the Gainesville and surrounding area. “BioD is so close it smells like French fries” say the folks at Freedom Fuels. “We are very excited and hope to be able to make a big announcement soon! Thanks for all the interest and support from the community!”
  Phone: 352 / 215-7265
  freedomfuelsinc.com

  Brief history First Coast Biofuels was incorporated in late 2003 and started operations in 2005. First Coast Biofuels offers B-100 and all blends of biodiesel as well as E-85 to retail and wholesale customers.  The company targets government and private fleets as well as retail fuel outlets. John Magwood, the President and CEO of First Coast Biofuels, earned a Master's degree in Ethanol Fuel from Biomass from the University of California.  "I've been making direct contact with vehicle fleet operators and government agencies that are mandated to use alternative fuels.   First Coast Biofuels is also listed as a federal and state provider on government procurement lists.  In addition, the company is listed on the web sites of several alternative fuel associations." Shipments are made by common carrier or customers may pick up the fuels themselves from locations in Jacksonville and Lake City.

  Update: An exciting development is the state of Florida is currently approving new rules that will allow retail sales of biodiesel and ethanol (E-85) to the general public in 2006.
  Customers may obtain information and place orders by calling 904-525-FUEL (3835) or emailing John Magwood at [log in to unmask]  The company's web site is www.firstcoastbiofuels.com.