SOCNET January 2006

Re: how to map forums

Shannon Clark <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 10 Jan 2006 19:33:39 -0800

text/plain

Speaking more as long time user of many different forums than purely as
a research a few additional points to consider.

Different forums organize and present their information in a number of
different ways - some, such as this mailing list present primarily via
email (though there can be a web equivalent - see most Yahoo! Groups for
a simple example).

The implied behavior of the group can be set, in part, by the defaults -
SOCNET for example defaults to "reply to sender" instead of "reply to
group".

However there are many online forums and discussions which adopt a very
different format than an email metaphor. That is, while there may be
notifications involved using email, the discussion forum is primarily a
web based phenomenon. My personal favorite online discussion groups are
based on PHPBB (see http://www.lthforum.com for a great example around
the topic of food). For these types of forums, the default is to reply
to the thread - and discussions are organized by broad topics, further
organized by specific threads. The software can (and often does) track
which messages have been read, how many times, and how many people have
replied to that thread - with software like PHPBB the display then
usually shows the active threads first but importantly also customizes
this experience on a per-user basis (i.e. you can see what is new to
you).

In mapping the social dynamics of a large scale discussion forum - take
the example of lthforum which I know well, you are looking at a group of
over 1000 registered users (and in many cases a larger number of
unregistered readers). The first set of connections might be the
difference between unregistered and registered - with registration
implying a known connection to the larger group. Then you might use a
set of metrics like "posted to this area" or "replied to messages in
this area" or "replied to the same messages" as three ways of grouping
the members.

Where it gets more complex is that most such systems also do allow for
private messages technically, and in the case of a group like LTHForum
also are used to organize face-to-face meetings. Clearly these two
aspects imply a very different level of connection than merely
participating in the same general topic or specific thread.

I would also strongly suggest that you try to identify the context
within which people participate in the forum(s) in question. In the case
of a corporate environment, how do the discussions forums map from other
forms of communications available within the organization (corporate
email, regular face-to-face meetings, projects and organizational
structure, other electronic collaboration tools). In a case as simple as
lthforum (admittedly not a corporate example) it should be looked at in
context of a larger online community (Chowhounds) and a prior online
mailing list as well as a core offline network based around face-to-face
meetings. There is a strong mapping from those prior groups to the
organizers/moderators of the forum.

Which brings up another point to consider in your analysis - most online
forums offer a variety of administrative capabilities - such as
moderating messages, deleting messages, editing messages, or moving
messages within the system. If you are trying to map out how people use
the system and from that how they are connected, it would be important
to look at the policies being enforced and how they are enforced (even
something as simple as when/if messages are deleted due to age might
mean that you have to keep certain limits to your knowledge in mind as
you analyze.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the posts to an online forum do
not represent the full impact of the forum on the group - as important,
perhaps more so, are the majority of forum users who read but do not (or
only rarely) reply to posts or initiate new discussions. Within a
corporation or a group this reading of the messages on a given topic is
generally the source of value for the organization for the group - that
is, by reading and being up-to-date duplication of effort and questions
can often be avoided.

There are some online forums that track who has read what posts - though
clearly this raises a number of privacy concerns (and technically
requires that people be logged in). In some cases there are ways for
readers to give input without posting or replying themselves - for
example many forums offer simple polling capabilities and others offer
ways of rating a given poster (or specific post).

Hope this helps add to the discourse - definitely mapping out the
network dynamics can be challenging but I look forward to seeing what
people come up with.

Shannon