STA-5 Hendry County Birding 01/07/2006

Vincent Lucas <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 7 Jan 2006 19:36:25 -0500

text/plain

A great day of birding was had by six of us at STA-5 (Stormwater
Treatment Area 5) in extreme eastern Hendry County today. Leaving
Naples in cold 45 degree weather (OK, cold is a relative term!),
Arthur & Anne Wilson and I birded CR 846 on our way to Immokalee and
points east. A stop at the seasonal ponds on CR846 just before
arriving in the town of Immokalee held a half-dozen Long-billed
Dowitchers, the resident Great White Heron plus the usual waders
including quite a few Wood Storks, ducks, etc.

Our next stop was at the Immokalee Ranch east of the town of the same
name to check on the Solitary Sandpipers that we found last week.
This small wetland had hundreds of Wood Storks, egrets, herons, ducks
and a few shorebirds (mostly Lesser & Greater Yellowlegs and
Killdeer) -- all feeding voraciously. What a sight! In among all
these birds, at the fringe of the wetlands, was one of the Solitary
Sandpipers. The other one may have been there but we didn't linger
trying to find it. At another stop further east on CR846, we found a
minimum of 150 or so American White Pelicans in another seasonal
wetland on the south side of the road. Beautiful in the early morning
light.

We hurried to reach our final destination (STA-5) to join up with
Margaret England, Secretary, Hendry-Glades Audubon Society and two
other women from this same organization. Try as we might to ignore
birds we passed on the way i.e. Sandhill Cranes, Crested Caracaras,
etc., we couldn't(!) and arrived at STA-5 about 15 minutes late.

The temps were a little chilly -- low 40's, but we all came prepared.
I even wore gloves! The winds on the dikes here at STA-5 are usually
pretty strong since there is nothing to stop them as they come across
the impoundments, but today they were very tolerable! Great!

After signing our releases for SFWMD, we joined the others.
Immediately as we got up on the dike from the gate, we saw three
Black Skimmers zip by. A Purple Gallinule (only one of about three
seen the entire day) was in the far corner of the impoundment on the
west side of the first dike, A scan of the shoreline found several
Purple Swamphens (much more prevalent than the PUGAs we'd see
throughout the day), thousands and thousands of American Coots,
lesser numbers of Common Moorhens and hundreds of Blue-winged Teal.

All around us were many swallows, mostly Tree Swallows as could be
expected with far fewer numbers of Northern Rough-winged Swallows.
But what intrigued me were the absolute high numbers of Barn Swallows
present! We estimate at least 75 Barn Swallows were seen all along
the mile or so dike that traverses these first two impoundments. I've
never seen so many Barn Swallows at one place in winter in Florida!
Did these birds not migrate or were they still doing so?? Anyone know
for sure? Bruce, you listening?

Duck numbers were astounding, especially the numbers of Fulvous
Whistling-Ducks either resting on the vegetative "mats" in the
impoundments or swimming in the open waters in the impoundments. We
estimate conservatively, 500 Fulvous Whistling-Ducks were present. We
also saw far less numbers of Black-bellied Whistling-Ducks; in all
about 10 birds. Total duck species seen was 10: Blue & Green-winged
Teal, Northern Shoveler, Northern Pintail, American Wigeon, Ring-
necked & Mottled Duck & one lone Ruddy Duck rounded out the other
species.

Shorebirds were also great. We saw at least 25 Black-necked Stilts
(!), numerous Yellowlegs of both species, Least Sandpipers & Killdeer.

One Sora.

Waders: all present including a half-dozen or so Roseate Spoonbills,
a lone American Bittern, numerous Glossy Ibis & several Black-crowned
Night-Herons.

Raptors: a hunting Peregrine Falcon within 100 feet was a nice
sighting. Later, we'd see another (same bird?) resting on the cross-
arms of a telephone pole on the north side of the first dike. Others:
many Northern Harriers flying over the marshes; several Red-tailed
Hawks (mostly on Blumberg Rd.), one fly-by Cooper's Hawk, many
American Kestrels (again, mostly along the cane fields along Blumberg
Rd.), the usual vultures in spades, one adult Bald Eagle, with
another on Blumberg Rd. on a telephone pole on the way out to CR835,
and several Ospreys. Amazingly, no Red-shouldered Hawks were seen
anywhere!

Passerines were few. Along the dikes we saw a small flock of Savannah
Sparrows and larger flocks of Red-winged Blackbirds. Palm Warblers
were common as well. Interestingly, on Blumberg Rd. on the way back
to CR835, we watched flocks of egrets, grackles and gulls (mostly
Ring-billed) following the cane harvesters wherever they were cutting
the sugarcane.

On the way back to Naples, Arthur & I checked out the once regal
stand of cypress trees (Did I get that right Bill?) along the Miami
Canal. Alas, no Barn Owls were seen. The Bolles Canal area held
nothing of note either. We did see two Common Mynas at the trashed
(from Hurricane Wilma) McDonald's in Clewiston.

All in all, a great day of birding in one of my favorite birding
counties in Florida! Thanks goes out to Margaret England for her
hospitality and for allowing us to come out to STA-5. As a reminder,
the next time STA-5 will be open to birders is on Saturday, January
21st. If you plan on going, please e-mail Margaret England
<[log in to unmask]> ahead of time to obtain permission.
Please note that this is duck hunting season and the hunters are
chomping at the bit to enter STA-5, I think at 1:00PM. . . . Here is
our day list:

Pied-billed Grebe
American White Pelican (>300 for the day)
Double-crested Cormorant
Anhinga
American Bittern
Great Blue Heron
Great Egret
Snowy Egret
Little Blue Heron
Tricolored Heron
Cattle Egret
Green Heron
Black-crowned Night-Heron
White Ibis
Glossy Ibis
Roseate Spoonbill (half-dozen or so)
Wood Stork
Black Vulture
Turkey Vulture
Black-bellied Whistling-Duck (10 or so seen)
Fulvous Whistling Duck (>500)
American Wigeon
Mottled Duck
Blue-winged Teal
Northern Shoveler
Northern Pintail
Green-winged Teal
Ring-necked Duck
Ruddy Duck (x1)
Osprey
Bald Eagle (2 adults)
Northern Harrier
Cooper's Hawk (x1)
Red-tailed Hawk
Crested Caracara
American Kestrel
Peregrine Falcon (two different birds?)
Sora (x1)
Purple Gallinule
Common Moorhen
American Coot (80 bajillion!)
Purple Swamphen (these exotics may be "pushing out" endemics like
Purple Gallinule?)
Sandhill Crane
Killdeer
Black-necked Stilt (>25)