GARC-L February 2006

Local Ham speaks with ISS

"Dr. Jay Garlitz" <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 25 Feb 2006 04:25:19 -0500

text/plain

Local Ham speaks to ISS...Cory, N1WON...to contact him for more information
of strategies for making contact with the ISS contact him at

Before I went to breakfast about two weeks ago, I had checked
the International Space Station schedule prior to leaving home.
It was on a Sunday and they are usually more active on the weekends,
especially Bill McArthur. I noticed that they would pass almost
overhead Gainesville while I was at breakfast.

When I arrived at the restaurant, they were very busy and there were
no seats so I just got a cup of coffee and left. As I was driving home, I
was listening for the packet radio signal from the ISS. I didn't hear it and
since it was time for their pass, I called them two times. A few seconds
after the second call I heard,  NA1SS, Qrz? I called again and told him his
signal report was 59 (strange on 2M simplex) and corrected my call. He gave
me a 59 report. I asked how they were doing and he said that they were
doing just fine. I was suprised that he wasen't talking to anybody else like
they usually are. Anyhow, I said 73, have a good day and that's how it
ended. A few seconds later I heard him work a W4 and that was the last time
I heard them on that pass.

The weekend before, I heard him telling somebody that he had e-mailed
his logs and he was going to try to work the Virgin Islands on this pass. I
tried to contact him but no luck. I heard him call the Virgin Is. but nobody
answered. I did hear him work somebody in the Dominican Republic and St.
Maarten. I think that this was just before he attained DXCC.

This is my second contact with the ISS. I worked them in 2001 while on the
road near Sebring. I spoke to Jim Voss on that contact. He was not a
licensed ham but nobody seemed to care. He was the most active off all of
the astronauts until now. He was born in Fl and lived near Atlanta. Almost
every time the station passed over GA or FL he would usually be on the radio
talking to friends of his at home.

Cory N1WON

ISS commander continues to set on-the-air records (Feb 10, 2006) --
International Space Station Expedition 12 Commander Bill McArthur, KC5ACR,
has topped 100 entities in his effort to complete DXCC from space. "Bill was
able to work a few more stations prior to and just after the space walk that
deployed SuitSat-1 and now has exceeded the 100 mark," says Amateur Radio on
the International Space Station (ARISS <http://www.rac.ca/ariss> ) Ham Radio
Project Engineer Kenneth Ransom, N5VHO. Among the latest DXCC entities he
worked from NA1SS were Brunei (V8), Chagos Island (VQ9), Falkland Islands
(VP8), East Malaysia (9M6), Reunion (FR), Tajikistan (EY) and Trinidad &
Tobago (9Y-9Z). Since DXCC rules make no provisions for contacts from space,
McArthur will have to settle for an honorary DXCC certificate. One of the
most active ISS crew members, McArthur also now holds the record for the
most ARISS school group contacts at 24, and Expedition 12 still has
approximately seven more weeks to go. McArthur has been on both VHF and UHF,
and earlier completed Worked All Continents (WAC), including Antarctica, on
both 2 meters and 70 cm. The worldwide VHF FM voice downlink frequency is
145.800 MHz. Voice uplink frequencies are 144.49 MHz for Regions 2 and 3
(the Americas, and the Pacific), and 145.20 MHz for Region 1 (Europe,
Central Asia and Africa). Congratulations Bill, and keep it up!