Gainesville Wilson's Warbler etc

Bob Richter <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 3 Feb 2006 19:57:34 -0500

text/plain

Since I haven't seen it mentioned on any of the lists since the original post
on 1/23 ... This afternoon I easily relocated the Wilson's Warbler at Kanapaha
Gardens in the location mentioned in the original post, where the footpath
through the "Vinery" intersects with the golf cart path. The bird was actually
at the cart path and away from the footpath, foraging in the bamboo. It was
calling frequently and that made it easy to locate. Check the bamboo stand
where it thins into clumps between the wood pile and the cart path.

I spent about 45 minutes in the hummingbird garden hoping something would come
into the feeder. I heard at least two hummingbirds (I think ruby-throats but
I'm no good with hummingbird calls. The birds seemed to be staying in the oaks
on either side of the hummingbird garden area. I also heard a bird giving
intermittent single chip notes at a few seconds interval. This chip sounded
very much like a single hummingbird chip generally heard in a staccato of
notes. Might be worth checking out (heard from the cupola).

On my way to Gainesville in the morning I stopped at O'Leno and, after some time
and with much patience, I finally managed to pish in the winter wren. As I stood
on the third bridge as mentioned previously the bird came in from the right,
working it's way down the little ravine right up to the bridge. The bird spent
about five minutes foraging amongst the debris, out in the open, calling
frequently, posing for pictures and not seeming to mind the flash. Unfortunately
I did not realize till I got home that I did not have the flash properly synced
with the camera (I've never read a manual in my life and have often paid for it).
I will post the one recognizable shot on the web site below until I can, hopefully,
replace it.

Bob

Baker County

www.PBase.com/Bob_Richter