Help for FLORIDABIRDS-L Archives

FLORIDABIRDS-L Archives

Subject: Orlando Snow Goose - Yes!, etc. (2/2/06)
From: John Thomton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 2 Feb 2006 22:01:48 -0600

Hey everyone,

I don't have long, but I did a little birding around Lake Apopka today, and
then I went to find the Snow Goose in Orlando.  The best spot this morning
was Oakland Nature Preserve, where I had 3 Painted Buntings(2 males, 1
female), 2 Orange-Crowned Warblers, and a Black-Crowned Night-Heron (all
uncommon at the site), along with a myriad of other very-active and common
guys.  I couldn't find the ani anywhere, and the only sparrows in the field
on Laughlin Rd. that I could find were Savannah and 1 Vesper, but I did
flush 26 Wilson's Snipe.  There was also 1 Herring Gull hanging out with the
Ring-Billeds at Palm Island Park in Mt. Dora.

The Snow Goose reported by Andrew Boyle the other day was still there at
3:30 this afternoon.  It's still around the first pond (the one with the
fountain) on the left as you pull into Barber Park, which is on Gatlin Rd.
just west of Semoran Blvd. (south of the 408).  It was very easy to spot,
and not at all spooked by people as it grazed on the lawn near the parking
lot.  Go out and get it!

Good birding,

John Thomton
Orlando, Orange Co.