Help for FLORIDABIRDS-L Archives

FLORIDABIRDS-L Archives

Subject: White-eyed Vireo Mimics Great-crested Flycatcher?
From: Noel Wamer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 3 Feb 2006 12:52:54 -0500

I was just now stunned to hear apparent Great-crested Flycatcher typical
"wheep" calls beamed into the office over the audio monitor.  Three
"wheeps" in a row, followed shortly by a typical White-eyed Vireo song
that was repeated twice, and then two more "wheeps" and more vireo song.
  Whatever was making this commotion was obviously very close to the
monitor, but a visual inspection revealed only a vireo, so I must
conclude vocal mimcry.  White-eyeds are known mimics.  I recall a grad
student from UF studying this behavior, but don't recall where it was
published.  Perhaps the Wilson Bulletin?

Can't always believe your ears...

Noel Wamer
Jacksonville, FL