Help for FLORIDABIRDS-L Archives

FLORIDABIRDS-L Archives

Subject: Mourning Dove copulation
From: James Wheat <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 3 Feb 2006 14:00:14 -0500

I just observed a pair of Mourning Doves on my balcony. First they preened
themselves, then seemed to engage in mock crop-feeding (or one grabbed the
other by the bill and shook) a few times. Then to my surprise they commenced
to copulate.  Seems to me a bit early in the year, but it has been warm
here.