Help for FLORIDABIRDS-L Archives

FLORIDABIRDS-L Archives

Subject: Yellow-rumped Warblers
From: Lucy and Bob Duncan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 7 Feb 2006 07:44:14 -0600

There is a paucity of Yellow-rumped Warblers in the western Panhandle and in coastal Alabama this winter. These bird are so abundant in winter that "Oh, not another Yellow-rump!" is a favorite expression on CBCs. Now, I am only seeing them in small numbers or not at all in places where they are usually found. The recent hurricanes have devestated much of their preferred habitat along the coast and that probably accounts for their absence. But where are they? I have found only a few 30 - 40 miles inland from the coast. Did they move farther north upon reaching a foodless coast? Did they move down the peninsula? Can anyone shed light on this mystery? Bob Duncan, Gulf Breeze, Fl in the w. Panhandle.