Skip repetitive navigational links

Re: Reading persons/NADE presentation/conference: Read Right March 24-26/FW: Struggling Freshmen: Can the Epidemic of Reading Problems be Stopped?

Carolyn Hart <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 16 Mar 2006 15:24:58 -0600

text/plain

Try reading Dr. Tadlock's paper, "Interactive Constructivism and
Reading:  The Nature of Neural Networks Challenges the Phonological
Processing Hypothesis."  You can access it from the Read Right website.
I think what she is trying to say, put simplistically, is that reading
comprehension is not just word recognition (visual processing of
information), but a much more complex process involving other parts of
the brain besides the area identified in various imaging studies as the
one(s) involved in reading (hence Tadlock's use of the term neural
networks).  Her paper explains it better than I possibly could.