SOCNET March 2006

advertisement ...

Steve Borgatti <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 18 Mar 2006 11:45:18 -0500

text/plain

*****  To join INSNA, visit http://www.insna.org <http://www.insna.org/>
*****

*** APOLOGIES FOR CROSS-POSTING         ***

*** PLEASE DISTRIBUTE WHERE APPROPRIATE   ***

2006 FALL AAAI SYMPOSIUM

October 12-15, 2006, at the Hyatt Crystal City in Arlington, VA

INTERACTION AND EMERGENT PHENOMENA IN SOCIETIES OF AGENTS

http://pages.towson.edu/gtrajkov/FSS2006

Whereas multiagent systems have been extremely helpful in solving
engineering problems, much of what we find exciting lies in their
applications to contemporary human life. In particular, the focus of this
meeting will be on self-constituting systems and networks composed of human
and non-human agents characteristic of emergent cyber cultures, including
e-commerce, e-learning as well as other human/non-human agent systems in
medicine, law, science and online interactions of all kinds.

It represents an opportunity not only to share insights and experiments in
multiagent systems composed of robot- and software agents, but to theorize
hybridity formed at the junction of the human- and non-human.

Multiagent systems, we submit, cross-disciplinary boundaries by focusing on
society and culture as emerging from the interactions of autonomous agents.
Poised at the intersection of AI, cybernetics, sociology, semiotics and
anthropology, this strand of multiagent systems research enables a powerful
perspective illuminating not only how we live and learn now, but also,
through focusing on emergence, how we anticipate the future.

Moreover, by convening this interdisciplinary symposium, we hope to form new
network assemblages of variegated agents of researchers and their techniques
out of which may arise new perspectives on heretofore parochial questions in
our respective disciplines. From here, there are manifold policy
implications: multiagent systems research, we believe, can be a powerful
reagent, interrogating the teleological, emergentist assumptions underlying,
for example, the adoption and institutionalization of IT in universities,
businesses, hospitals and NGOs, and suggesting other, networked
possibilities.

Key questions:

-Emergence of pre-linguistic concepts

-Emergence of shared representations

-Emergence of meaning and language

-How can we characterize the fungible, shifting networks created by human
and non-human agents?

-How do the environment and the society influence the individual agent and
vice versa?

-What are the knowledges, translations or other hierarchies that emerge in
such settings?

-What tools do we use in these explorations?

-Are emergent phenomena surprising? If so, to whom? And what effects might
such surprise register in a system composed of agents, phenomena and
observer?

-Are they surprises to the agent?

-How do these phenomena reflect on the off and on-line societies?

IMPORTANT DATES

May 1, 2006     Papers due (10 pages max)

May 22, 2006    Acceptance notice

July/August        Registration opens

August 29, 2006    A/V Requests due, permission to distribute due

Sept 1, 2006    Invited participants registration deadline

Sept 22, 2006    Final (open) registration deadline

ORGANIZING COMMITTEE

Goran Trajkovski (co-chair), Towson University, USA Samuel Collins
(co-chair), Towson University, USA Georgi Stojanov, American University in
Paris, France Michael North, Argonne National Laboratories, USA Laszlo
Gulyas, AITIA International Inc., Hungary

Note that limited financial support for graduate students will be available.

Please submit  all questions to Goran Trajkovski, [log in to unmask]
(http://pages.towson.edu/gtrajkov).

---

Cordially yours,

Dr. Goran Trajkovski

Assistant Professor

Computer and Information Sciences Department Cognitive Agency and Robotics
Laboratory Towson University 8000 York Road, Towson, MD 21252 Ph.
410-704-6310, Fax. 410-704-3868 http://pages.towson.edu/gtrajkov

--

Cordially yours,

Goran Trajkovski, PhD

Director, Cognitive Agency and Robotics Laboratory (CARoL) Assistant
Professor of Computer and Information Sciences Towson University, 8000 York
Road, Towson, MD 21252-0001

Vox: 410-704-6310; Fax: 410-704-3868

Steve Borgatti

Professor & Chair

Organization Studies Dept, Boston College

Tel: +1 978 456 7356

Fax: +1 978 456 7372

E-mail: [log in to unmask]