The Future of Records Management

Janie Wait <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 3 Mar 2006 00:07:46 -0700

Text/Plain

What a great discussion!

Smaller organization use bookkeepers with limited knowledge to do the daily
work, but have an accountant for audit, review and  tax issues.    Is RM at
a crossroads where this level of professionalism is required in order to be
taken seriously? And provide the level of expertise their organizations need
   Yes, I know I am opening myself up to flames from the last statement, be
kind. Charmaine

I certainly hope that we require professionalism and therefore should be
able to expect our due respect.  I would never flame you for that!

University level education and customized alphabet soup characters after
your name does not necessarily generate a perception of "seriousness".  More
flame-bait I guess ... Ghyslain

No, but having a high level of expertise and conducting yourself
professionally does generate a perception of competence and respect.  You
don't have to be serious to be competent, which we have all proven on this
listserv!

"That is one of the things that my superiors appreciate in our meetings -
that I not only have my eye on 'education, accessibility, transparency and
accountability', but I also have a keen eye on the budget.  Compromise isn't
a 4 letter word ... Or at least it doesn't have to be. Off my soap box now .
. Let 'er rip!" Julie

I have never understood this perceived mutual exclusiveness between the best
interests of the stakeholders.  I also believe that you can always find a
win-win solution in most situations...might take more (of anything, you name
it, time, money,effort) than you have but that doesn't mean it doesn't
exist!

Ladies, you just flame on and rip it up like no others with some terrific
insights and observations.  I am with you all the way!

Being taken seriously entails understanding core principles and practices
and applying them successfully to the real world to the benefit of our
stakeholders. Dwight

Who can argue with that?

"There is an effort to write such complete SOP (including RM procedures) for
everything that
any idiot can do it. This is doomed to failure because the effort is too
large and the target is always on the move. Too much specific knowledge is
required."  Russell

I just spent 2 hours writing out an SOP for something we have successfully
done for 23 years with standard training - until last week!  The problem was
that while they were told what to do, no one bothered to tell them why to do
it.  It was like folklore, passes down from person to person but no one ever
asked why so no one knew more than that was the way we had always done it.
I personally am more curious about things I do day  in and day out and
expected them to be as well.  I guess I expect to much sometimes.

We've gone from records management is not an issue - period - to everyone
now wants to include
it as part of their sales pitch/business plan, lite or otherwise. Dwight

Yes, but that is due to several types of RIM disasters that have brought us
into the main stream.  Now we have 5 major federal privacy laws to help us
achieve some of our other goals.  I personally like the idea that we are
moving from being with the janitors in our shared basements to the corner
office (OK, maybe that is stretching it a bit) next to the corporate lawyer,
risk manager and other mucky mucks - you know, the people who get to
actually make the decisions!  At least they are asking our opinions, even if
they still don't take our advice!

 It seems to me we have a lot "pretenders" in Records Management right now
since it is so hot and is "the next best thing". Getting back to the
patience thing- I think a lot of the know it all, water it down "pretenders"
will eventually lose patience and move on to the next best thing. It will be
simply because they won't have the patience to deal with the day to day grit
of records management. Rob

True, but we might just get some great new entries into the profession and
having a vigorous employment image gives us the chance to pick from some of
the best.  I mean, come on, how many of us grew up dreaming of being records
mangers?  I would guess most us stumbled into it in much the same way...and
look at us now!
I say we give the newbies a break, encourage them, invite them to be one of
us!  How's that for a little marketing pizzaz?

I don't think that any of us is an expert at everything. And on top of that,
there are so many opinions on a "same topic" that we still have to sort out
what is best for our own situation. I want to thank you all for being there
when I need help. Graham

Amen to that.  I have been up here in BFE Wyoming thinking I was unique in
all the world (OK, maybe just my little corner of the world, probably more
like just in my little mind) and then you all came along.  I can't tell you
how wonderful it is to be able to talk about my work, which I love, with
professionals like yourselves (ok, maybe we are really all just yahoo's but
no one else has to know that!) who are so willing to be there when we need
each other.

Gentlemen, you are profound and wonderfully experienced.  Did I mention
opinionated as well!

There was so much more but it was discussed along the way.  Thanks for the
opportunity to come play in your sandbox! Thanks for the ride!

 "Life is not a journey to the grave  with the intention of arriving safely,
in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up , totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow, what a
ride!' "

Janie Wait, CRM, MBA
President
Director of Marketing