]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

RECMGMT-L Home

RECMGMT-L  March 2006, Week 1

RECMGMT-L March 2006, Week 1

To those following the NARA NYT story: Longish extract from H-net debate from 2001

Maarja Krusten <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 3 Mar 2006 12:54:01 -0500

text/plain

I would guess more people on the Archives List than on Recmgmt_L are
following the NARA declassification, reclassification story.  I just
posted the message below there.  Just in case there are any people --
or should I write "just in case there is any one,  at all"  :-) on this
List who is interested, I'll cross post my message here as well.

Think about your own organizations, how they handle quetions, press
stories, etc.  I just saw an interesting clip on CNN from an interview
yesterday with former FEMA chief Michael Brown.  In the video
interview, Brown states that he believes people in Washington too often
feel they have to stick to the talking points, that they always have to
put a good gloss on everything.  That there is a mistaken belief that
the American people "can't handle the truth."   He states that he
learned the hard way that that is not always the best course.  Of
course, Brown is one of many people who has a stake in the matter under
discussion in the interview.

At any rate, I'm very interested to see the extent to which NARA is
able to speak candidly about the situation involving records
declassification and reclassification.  Here's what I just posted on
the Archives List.

In 2001, I ended up being the sole defender of the National Archives in
a debate among historians on H-Net's H-Diplo List.  (Yes, me, who was
once labelled as part of a group of "disgruntled archivists" during Don
Wilson's tenure as Archivist, speaking out in defense of NARA, LOL.) At
the time, my sister Eva still was alive and employed at NARA's
Declassification division.
For those of you who are following the NARA Declass story, here are a
couple of extracts from the H-Diplo postings: