]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SOCNET Home

SOCNET  April 2006

SOCNET April 2006

Re: any qualitative study of social network?

José Luis Molina <[log in to unmask]>

José Luis Molina <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 11 Apr 2006 00:27:25 +0200

text/plain

Dear Ines,

Currently Chris McCarty and others are developing a way to get rich
qualitative information from informant's personal networks. The idea is
simple: after filling a survey designed with Egonet
(<http://www.mdlogix.com/egonet.htm#purchasing>) the informant gets a
picture of her personal network. Then, the interviewer uses the picture to
ask some questions (what are those groupings? Why this person is so central?
Why there are so few Spaniards in your network? for instance), and changes
some visual variables in the program in order to find new connections and
histories.

The interview is recorded in a wav file (so you can translate it and codify
it with Atlas.ti or other program) and it helps very much to understand the
scores of both structure and composition of personal networks.

The methodology is explained in

McCarty, Chris, et. al. "Personal network visualization as an aid for
qualitative interviews", Field Methods, accepted.

Also, there is an Egonet workshop scheduled in the next Sunbelt.

Hope it helps,

José Luis Molina
Departament d'Antropologia social i cultural
Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona
Facultat de Lletres-Edifici B
08193- Bellaterra (Spain)
Tf.:+93 581 12 39