]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SOCNET Home

SOCNET  April 2006

SOCNET April 2006

Re: SNA measures and business performance

Langenberg Thomas <[log in to unmask]>

Langenberg Thomas <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 22 Apr 2006 17:24:46 +0200

text/plain

Dear Bastian,

There is a whole literature on these issues. Depending on what you want
to measure as "business performance" (e.g., financial performance,
innovative performance etc), the papers specify/use a whole bunch of
measures you could use. Below is quick list of papers that address,
among others, the question of network structure and firm performance on
various levels of analysis

*   Bell, G. G. 2005. Clusters, Networks, and Firm Innovativeness.
Strategic Management Journal, 26(3): 287-295.

*   Moran, P. 2005. Structural vs. Relational Embeddedness: Social
Capital and Managerial Performance. Strategic Management Journal,
26(12): 1129-1151.

*   Rodan, S. & Galunic, C. 2004. More than network structure: how
knowledge heterogeneity influences managerial performance and
innovativeness. Strategic Management Journal, 25(6): 541 - 562.

*   Rowley, T., Behrens, D., & Krackhardt, D. 2000. Redundant Governance
Structures: An Analysis of Structural and Relational Embeddedness in the
Steel and Semiconductor Industry. Strategic Management Journal, 21(3).

*   Singh, K. & Mitchell, W. 2005. Growth dynamics: the bidirectional
relationship between interfirm collaboration and business sales in
entrant and incumbent alliances. Strategic Management Journal, 26(6):
497.

*   Uzzi, B. 1997. Social structure and competition in interfirm
networks: The paradox of embeddedness. Administrative Science Quarterly,
42(1): 35-68.

*   Zaheer, A. & Bell, G. G. 2005. Benefiting from Network Positions:
Firm Capabilities, Structural Holes, and Performance. Strategic
Management Journal, 26(9): 809-825.

These papers might give you also an idea how to find data, which you can
use for hypothesis testing. Furthermore, when you go to google scholar
and you search for network structure and firm performance, you will find
a very long list of papers on that issue.

Just let me know when you have any further questions!

Best,
Thomas