Font:

Monospaced Font

LISTSERV Archives

SOCNET Home

SOCNET  May 2006

SOCNET May 2006

Re: "Social networking: Latest Scourge or Old News?"

Nick Guenther <[log in to unmask]>

Nick Guenther <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 23 May 2006 03:59:42 +0100

text/plain

On 5/23/06, Bill Richards <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> WXPNews ("Your Source for all things XP") had an interesting piece about
> social networking that you may be interested in.
> Vol. 6, #20 - May 16, 2006 - Issue #227
>
> I think the links to additional sources of information may be especially
> useful to someone interested in how many of these services there are,
> how many people are subscribed to each of them, or even the bill
> recently filed in Congress, called the "Deleting Online Predators Act,"
> which would require schools and libraries to block access to social
> networking sites.

How does schools blocking Myspace stop online stalkers; more
importantly, how does it make people who would fall for a stalker's
trap smart enough to avoid other dangers like strangling themselves
with their toothbrush?

Anyway, here is a better list than the WXP one (in fact it looks like
it's where they got their info):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_social_networking_websites

> Social networking: Latest Scourge or Old News?
>
> http://www.wxpnews.com/archives/wxpnews-227-20060516.htm

-Nick