Skip repetitive navigational links

Re: Who teaches your Freshmen Seminar?

Kate Jakobson <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 17 Jul 2006 12:19:05 -0400

text/plain

Hi Antoinette:

As Director of Tutoring and Student Success, I teach our student success
courses which include those for freshmen, first-time-in-college, 'at-risk'
populations, developmental populations, etc. We don't have a specific
Freshmen Seminar course, but the student success courses address the types
of topics that would be in such a course. If we did have a Freshman
Seminar course, I would no doubt be the 1st person approached to teach it.

My ultimate goal though, is to include other faculty members and staff such
as counselors to be a part of the student success courses.

Hope that helps!

Kate Jakobson, Director
Tutoring and Student Success
Kirtland Community College
989.275.5000 x 211

From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of McConnell, Antoinette
Sent: Monday, July 17, 2006 11:23 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Who teaches your Freshmen Seminar?

Hello:

If you are part of a university program that provides academic support
specifically for new high school graduates from underserved
environments, please respond.

            - Who teaches your Freshmen Seminar course? This
would be the course that helps students make the transition to college
(i.e., self-management skills,
college etiquette, college learning and study skills, etc.?)

- Does faculty teach the course that help students
make the transition to your university? (I am not asking about the
"First Year Experience.")

I appreciate your responds. Thank you.

Antoinette McConnell

Coordinator, Project Success