The new year for our society has begun and by the outcome of our
first meeting, things are looking to be very exciting and active.
The following is what was discussed at this Monday's meeting:
1. ELECTIONS Aug 28 - Congrats to the new board:
President: Jason Evans
Vice President: Jessica Allen
Treasurer: Brian Becker
Secretary: Nashielly Victoria
Project Director: Scott Edmundson
2. WOW (Week of Welcome) Sep 13 & 14 - Volunteers needed to help
for tomorrow's kick off ; contact Jason ([log in to unmask]) if you
are available. Also, please respond if you can help on the 13th
or 14th at any time between 10am and 3pm. This will be an awesome
way to get new people involved and keep the (sustainable) energy
3. SUSTAINABILITY CONFERENCE Oct 25 & 26 - We will be making our
presence known here; possible models and presentations are in the
works. Keep your eyes peeled for this great event, the first of
its kind in our state.
4. RECYCLING GAME - In partnership with Keep Alachua Beautiful and
other campus organizations, we hope to start a tradition of
cleaning up after those sloppy gators in more efficient ways.
Dates and more info. to come.
5. P3 GRANT WRITING COMPETITION - The 3 Ps stand for people,
prosperity, and planet. We may cook up a project for this one and
write up a grant in hopes for funding. Any ideas are welcome;
bring them to the next meeting if you are interested. This could
be a sweet way to see something from seed flower incredibly.
6. SPEAKERS - Instead of having one at every meeting, or every
other meeting, we thought it may be good to have a speaker once a
month (a specialist in passive and active solar energy was an idea
for a speaker, all others are welcome; what do you want to hear?),
this would leave room for #7
7. FIELD TRIPS - It was decided that we all would enjoy some
activity (productivity) during meetings such as working on
projects. Future trips to places like the energy park would allow
us to be more involved, and in more senses than one. We'll
discuss logistics further at the next meeting.
8. DEBATES - Another idea: have a panel (maybe us), look at issues
from several sides, being critical of all aspects, so that clearer
understanding and more successful implementation ensues. Sounds
9. O'DOME Make-Over - Natalie works here and told us they would
really like to cut down on energy costs. Maybe opening this up to
a campus competition? Brainstorming and offering our suggestions?
We'll see where this goes, but it sounds like it could be a big,
10. NEXT MEETING TBA! look out for the date/time.
That is all for now. Hope to catch you on the flip side (and see
you at the next meeting).