Help for FLORIDABIRDS-L Archives

FLORIDABIRDS-L Archives

Subject: Wekiva Banding, 8/20/06
From: Andrew Boyle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 22 Aug 2006 14:21:46 -0700

Hello, All.

Been meaning to post this sooner. Work prevailed.
Anyway...

Slower than we had hoped Sunday but there were some
new migrants showing up and a couple young birds still
playing around.

Birds banded included:

Prairie Warbler (4)
White-eyed Vireo (1)
Ovenbird (3)
Northern Cardinal-juv (1)

Thought for sure we could have gotten the Carolina
Wrens in the net at some point and the Towhees were
all over the place.

Other birds of note:

Carolina Chickadees
Red-eyed Vireo
Yellow-billed Cuckoo
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Red-shouldered Hawk
Pileated Woodpecker
Chimney Swift

Interesting thing about the Swifts. Only saw one flock
of them right around 9 AM. They were traveling in a
line to the south-southwest in small groups of 3 and
4. Maybe a total of 25.

They weren't flying in a feeding pattern but straight
in the same direction. Weirder, to me, was that every
now and then one of the swifts in a group would fly to
a bird in front of it and seem to peck at it as if to
say, "Hey, keep it moving!".

Ever see that?

Hoping for more birds next Sunday. With the report of
a Black-throated Blue in Jax it won't be long before
we are banding dozens of bird an outing.

Me, I am still thinking about my first Louisiana
Waterthrush we got to see out at Mead Garden last
Saturday...

Andrew Boyle
Orlando, FL