Help for FLORIDABIRDS-L Archives

FLORIDABIRDS-L Archives

Subject: Re: Ruff and Other Shorebirds near Belle Glade
From: Vincent Lucas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 26 Aug 2006 22:22:10 -0400

Having just returned from STA-5 and most of the same areas that Andy
& the TAS group birded today, including the Roth Sod Farm area, I'm
too tired to write-up a full report but I can add a few birds seen by
myself & Alan Murray and others in addition to the ones on Andy's
list save for the Ruff & Wilson's Phalaropes:

Five tern species at Roth Sod Farm Rd: Caspian (x3); Black (>75);
Least (>25); Forster's (>10) & Gull-billed (x2)
Willet (unexpected for sure at Roth Sod Farm)
Rail species (a too brief look to ID) at Roth Sod Farm
Roseate Spoonbill (x15) None banded at Roth Sod Farm
Bald Eagle (x2) at Roth Sod Farm
Solitary Sandpiper (Brown's Farm Road)
Stilt Sandpiper (>10 -- all juveniles) Roth Sod Farm
Purple Gallinule feeding in the rice fields on Brown's Farm Road
Black-bellied Whistling-Duck (x15) feeding in the rice fields on
Brown's Farm Road; >10 at STA-5
Fulvous Whistling-Duck (>6) at STA-5; x4 at Roth Sod Farm
Snail Kite (x1) STA-5
Least Bittern (>5) STA-5
Limpkin (x1) STA-5
Ring-necked Duck (x2) STA-5

Plus loads of Pectoral, Western & Least Sandpipers in many locales,
especially Roth Sod Farm as well as Black-bellied & Semipalmated
Plovers, Black-necked Stilts, Killdeer, both yellowlegs, Long-billed
Dowitchers, and some others I can't even remember now because I'm
very tired as I write this. Lol.

Great White Heron; Crested Caracara; Sandhill Crane; Cliff, Bank &
Barn Swallows, Barn Owl, Eastern Kingbird and many, many others seen
today.

Expect a more detailed report tomorrow. I'm going to bed!

Cheers.

Vince Lucas
Naples, FL