Help for FLORIDABIRDS-L Archives

FLORIDABIRDS-L Archives

Subject: Black-backed Gull Quiz
From: Irene Hernandez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 28 Aug 2006 15:29:56 -0400

Over the years I've learned that the month of August is not too soon to begin searching the beach for wintering gulls.  Yesterday I found my fos black-backed gull at Redington Shores Beach.  Had its legs been obviously yellow, there would have been no problem with identification.  As I studied the gull while on the beach, the legs appeared a washed out pink with only a slight suggestion of yellow, although my photos tend to bring out the yellow color.

I've uploaded three views of this gull to my webpage ID Help gallery. If anyone would like to take part in my quiz, click on the link below. Great Black-backed Gull or Lesser Black-backed Gull-what do you think and why?

I promise to let everyone know which species I voted for after the verdict is in, even though my answer turns out to be incorrect!

http://www.pbase.com/skimmer/idhelp

Thanks.

Irene Hernandez
Redington Shores, FL